For profit universities seeing a huge drop in enrollment.

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by droski, Mar 25, 2015.

Tags:
  1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

2. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Uhh, in the article:

"Those types of stats spurred the Obama administration last March to limit federal aid dolled out to for-profit colleges -- a challenge for places like the University of Phoenix."

Otherwise, I agree with you, these for-profit universities are scams and parasites in the education landscape. Plus, the degrees they give out are pretty useless and not well respected among employers.

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

the same people who to go the university of phoenix will be using the free community college that Obama wants to have.

4. Unimane

Some of them, maybe. Still, good for them to go to a real school that aren't, essentially, pyramid schemes.

5. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

So, a slightly better degree, but on my dime, instead of their own?

Noice!

6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I'm not sure borrowing money to get "computer degrees" and other useless associates degrees is all that much better.

7. Unimane

It's significantly cheaper than the online universities and there are plenty of opportunities to get worthwhile associates degrees for lower level jobs.

8. Unimane

You don't think the current student loan system isn't costing you anything, especially when half of them are defaulting? I'm not completely sold on the idea, but I can think of far worse things than providing free college for people.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  9. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

All of it is bullshit, even traditional schools using the federal money for campus beatification and student life enhancing projects.

The for-profit schools didn't carter to lower economic students, that would also fair well in traditional schools either.

10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

It's significantly cheaper because it's already hugely supported by the taxpayers. I don't know about you guys, but a significant portion of my property tax bill goes to the local community college. I'm ok with giving free tuition for people getting degrees in needed areas, but if you look at what degrees people actually do try to get you see a lot of useless stuff.

11. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

It won't be a better degree. The ability of those students are going to be quite low, and the college administrations at those schools aren't going to kick out those students with free pay checks around their necks.

It is just going to devalue higher degrees, even more than the current system.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  12. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

take a look:

[​IMG]

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I wonder what % of community college students ever actually get a degree of any sort. I bet it's significantly lower than 50%. I don't agree for paying for a bunch of humanities majors and stoners that take one computer class a semester while living off mom and dad.

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

15. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I think they're trying to address the poor job that public schools are doing to get students ready for college now, and this really will just extend it to be k-14

16. Unimane

What does it say that the for-profit ones are coming in at 67%? To me, it says that they are handing out degrees like candy. Can't make money if you aren't graduating people. (The private non-profit ones have a high rate likely due to selectivity.)

17. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I've never went to a community college, but I'm pretty sure they're not very selective at all, and if you sign up, you get in.

18. Unimane

If you are breathing, you get into a public CC. A private one has, at least, some amount of criteria, usually. Plus, people who go there tend to have more resources and support in their lives that makes prospects of success more probable.

19. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I've never heard of a private community college.

20. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Me neither