From Volnation

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by tvolsfan, Oct 15, 2016.

1. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Actually, I'll just say if folks are satisfied with this then I think Butch can continually make them happy. So maybe all our hand wringing is divorced from what the typical fan wants and expects.

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

We are the exception, not the norm. I've just accepted it.

3. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Yep. It's why Botch will be here as long as he likes. 7-5 or 8-4 until he retires. All with a shiny new 100m+ upgrade to Neyland to show off the mediocrity in style.

4. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Quotes from that thread:

Originally Posted by knox73:
    Make the commitment. Give Butch the raise and extension he deserves and the backing to hire Helfrich and a top level strength coach! Quit driving with the emergency brake on and put the resources behind this staff. It will upset the whiners and doom and gloomers but they have no plan, no vision, nor the fortitude to compete if all does not go their way every minute of every day. Keep the bowl streak and Vol Express rolling. Barnes and Butch are heading to the top of the SEC.

5. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Originally Posted by crazyguy:
    I'll say this. If butch does ever get into the playoffs, he's got a good shot of taking home the prize.

6. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

There is also a serious thread commending the Vols for being champions of life.

7. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

No fortitude to commit? That brave, brave man is committed to Botch. I'm jealous.

Botch has actually lacked commitment from the school. Had we committed, he'd be less predictable and smarter. He wouldn't have hired the joke of a staff he has.

8. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

[​IMG]

9. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I literally did exactly this when I read that post.

10. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I'll say this. If Butch ever does get into the playoffs and the other three teams are Iowa, Nebraska, and Northwestern, Butch has a good shot at winning it all as long as no one tells him anything is on the line.

11. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

You can't put a value on Champions at Life.

12. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Member when Big Game Butch had that big game against Vanderbilt to secure a spot in the Sugar Bowl? Surely we crushed them, right?

I'm also assuming Mr. Big Game had no trouble knocking off South Carolina to ensure that Florida couldn't overtake us in the East standings.

13. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I'll ask you to never assume

14. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Those aren't big games. Meaningless MCB against mid-tier team from other conference is the very definition of a big game.

15. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

pay raise time

16. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Honestly they really weren't big games. They were gimmes that would have been assumed victories under hundreds of other coaches. However, he's lost all the big games, too.

17. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Anyone still have posting privileges on VN?

I'd be interested to see what people think of a mystery comparison.

Suppose Butch's record was 25-13 over the last three seasons with one season tied for first in the East. He also went 16-8 in conference, had multiple wins over top 10 teams, beat every opponent in the East, and won at least one game against each of his major 3 rivals over that spin. What should UT do? Mega raise and lengthy extension?

18. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Richt?

19. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Way, way worse. Be a good thing to leave up for 3-4 days to see how awesome everyone thinks that would be.

20. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

They obviously fired him too soon. I mean, who wants an all time great coach and multiple natties when you could have kept this guy around?