George Floyd: Derek Chauvin Trial

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by VolDad, Mar 29, 2021.

1. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

That's where the similarities end. Both are civic duties. You should show up for both. That's it.

You vote for people who represent the changes in society that you want to see. You come into it with a bias towards one candidate or another, based on your beliefs. You should not be coming into jury duty with the same mindset.

There's no way you actually believe what you're typing these last few posts.

2. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I don't believe that's accurate, and even if it is, I'd say it's about a 0% chance that it happens.

3. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

If it's clear that what I did was a misdoing, I don't see the issue. The goal of the justice system is justice, not to take clear things and muddy them.

4. fl0at_

What about it do you not believe is accurate? Look in to it. Get informed, then weight in on the chance. You'll find it much, much higher than 0%.

5. fl0at_

You have not proved that the individual was biased. Sparking change isn't a bias. You have a belief that it is bias, without proving that it is bias.

It is impossible to walk anywhere without your beliefs. Everyone sitting on a jury, has beliefs. Those beliefs impact their decisions. Jury duty is no different.

The only question is did this particular belief change the outcome. And the answer is quite clearly no.

6. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

It only takes 1 to change the outcome

7. fl0at_

No, it doesn't. That's a hung jury, that will result in a mistrial and a new trial assembled.

8. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Which is different than guilty on all counts. Like I said.

9. fl0at_

In this context, where every juror voted guilty... how does the bias you perceive of this one individual change the outcome?

It only takes one to change the outcome, sure. How does that statement apply, here, in this case?

10. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Now a Federal Grand Jury has indicted all 4 Officers.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

smart ones will look for a plea deal

NorrisAlan likes this.
  12. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

My ass would be living in my lawyers office until a deal was reached.

13. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Any word yet on t-shirts worn in the past by members of this Grand Jury?

VolDad likes this.
  14. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

I expected the other 3 Officers to try that right after the States Guilty Verdict of Chauvin

15. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Isn't this the whole "Proving a negative" thing you always talk about? Shouldn't the burden be on you to provide some sort of proof or evidence that what you've outlined can actually happen? Have you read an article suggesting it can happen? Or that it's likely?

16. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

The reason we go through jury selection is to weed out jurors who might have strong beliefs about specific topics that could cause them to apply their bias to their decision about the verdict, rather than basing that decision on the actual evidence of the case.

The dude allegedly attended a March where members of GF's family spoke, and he wore a shirt that literally used a tag line born from GF's death.

Again, there's nothing wrong with any of that. It's perfectly acceptable for any US citizen to do those things. But if he lied about it or was misleading with his responses during the jury selection process, then it's absolutely a problem.

17. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Imagine if Chauvin had been found not guilty, and it was later found that one of the jurors had ties to white supremacy groups that he or she lied about during jury selection.

We should want everyone to have a fair trial, regardless of how strongly we feel about whether the person should be convicted or not.

18. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I think the more pertinent piece of info is "marches attended with speeches given by the alleged victim's family members."

19. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

1) Happened throughout the South for decades

2) Nothing suggest he did not get a fair trial. We saw over 9 minutes of video on a continues loop showing him kill a man.

The Dooz likes this.
  20. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Let's pretend you were there and heard them speak. Are you saying that would prevent you from listening to the evidence and making an informed decision yourself. You would be swayed that easily?

The Dooz likes this.