Georgia Implements Work Requirements for Food Stamps

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by VolDad, Aug 17, 2016.

1. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

The state of Georgia will implement new work requirements for those receiving food stamps in 24 counties across the state.

Originally a pilot program in three counties, the program requires that all able-bodied adults without children either get a job or lose access to food stamps.

Since the pilot program’s start in January, the number of food stamp recipients decreased by 60 percent.

The expansion affects about 10,000 able-bodied adults without children, who must work at least 20 hours a week or be enrolled in state-approved job training.

There is also an option to volunteer at a state-approved non-profit or charity, WJBF reports.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2016/08/16/georgia-work-requirements-food-stamps/

2. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Good.

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

As long as kids are getting fed, this is good.

4. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

20 hours per week working, job training, or volunteering at a charity and recipients drop 60%. Go figure.

5. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

Not surprised

6. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

But, however unintentionally, that's the rub. Kids will suffer. And there is no escaping, or intellectual safe harbor, from that fact.

And that makes it wrong.

Would veto, and force the legislature to overrun me.

7. Joseph Brant

Joseph Brant Airbrush Aficionado

Doesn't apply to those with children.

8. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Be interesting to see if this will be fought under the auspices of indentured servitude or some other such measure. I agree with it, on principle, and will be interested to see how it works out.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

How is it like indentured servitude? They can do whatever they want.

10. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Support.

11. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I don't think it is. But I can see someone trying to claim that the State is trying to make an indentured class, especially if they point a lot of them to ready-made civic projects. Obviously it is not indentured as you can always turn down the food stamps, but I have seen worse interpretations.

12. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

Saw "able-bodied, without kids" and felt way better about this.

13. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

See below

Yes. Now if we can find a way to get a few people out of the food stamp careers.

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

my wife has two "special" cousins, one by birth the other by adoption. both have jobs and work well above 20 hours a week.

15. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I stand corrected, and withdraw the point.

16. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I can stand behind the idea of a New Deal like program, providing jobs to benefit the public, particularly in infrastructure. And, I certainly don't mind making people get off the food stamp gravy train. I would hope, though, that there is some window in which people without children can receive food stamps and search for an appropriate or desirable job before being required to enter a work program.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

20 hours a week leaves time to look, and you could strategically volunteer in aim of getting a foot in a door

18. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I have no problem with this. I would much rather focus on training people for skilled jobs.

19. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I'd rather not have to police this shit. Set a certain amount that everyone gets and end all federal welfare programs.

Now the state is having to play parent and spend recourse of looking into all of these claims

20. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Agreed it's not like it's a crazy large hurdle