Going to Chicago this week

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Dick Huffman, Jun 21, 2014.

1. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Ouch.

2. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Yep and sadly it has been several years since I last visited Chicago. I need to get back up there soon.

These guys have already provided excellent recommendations - Jo's list is excellent and I'm a fan of both Gene and Georgetti & Ditka's (had too much to drink @Ditka's more than once). I'm not the biggest fan of deep dish so my favorite pizza place was Pat's, which specialized in thin crust. Weber Grill is another place to consider. You probably won't want to visit this place up there but when I got a taste for southern food I loved Wishbone in the West Loop; was one of the only places in Chicago that served sweet tea back then and had wonderful shrimp/ham and grits. There were several places in and around Lakeview that we visited and loved but I cannot recall the names. One place had amazing duck ravioli and I've sent a note to a friend asking for the name of that place so I can share. So good.

As mentioned you should definitely get to Wrigley to see a game if the Cubs are in town; it's special. Also on the cultural side I highly recommend the Field Museum & Art Institute - my favorite Chicago museums in order. Also the architecture river tours are great. Sounds very touristy and is, I suppose, but I've never met anyone who didn't enjoy it - even folks who'd lived there for years before doing it.