Grandparents Raising Grandchildren

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by kptvol, Nov 7, 2015.

1. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Yep. Both are opiates. Have a family member that uses heroine when the person cannot get pills. Damn sad.

2. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Prescription drugs are arguable the biggest problem this area has ever faced.

3. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

Living in Alabama and working in Georgia, its everywhere. Around here its mainly due to drug use on most occasions.

4. wildnkrazykat

wildnkrazykat Well-Known Member

I just meant in those who appeared to have an addiction problem. Inmate road crew members will about kill themselves to get to a Mtn dew bottle that has been discarded along the highway, Especially in rural areas. Apparently they stick the needles in there before they toss em out the window

5. Swiftpacegal

Swiftpacegal Member

It's sad when i have to mix morphine, for babies born addicted to heroine.

6. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Yes. I'd say better than 1/3 of the students I have are being raised by grandparents.

How anyone can choose drugs, women, men or whatever over their kids is incomprehensible to me. People suck.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
  7. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

1/3, that's terrifying.

8. JayVols

I agree. They have caused many of the ills our society faces, but there's another side to this coin. This scum has made it dang near impossible for folks that don't abuse these meds and have a legit medical need for them in order to halfway function in daily life.

9. JayVols

It is. It truly saddens me that these kids are being robbed of even the opportunity to have the type of relationship I have/had with my parents.

10. JayVols

In addition to this, the ones these that have that need and don't abuse must always be aware of the possibility of some strung out piece of shit seeing them pick up their prescriptions and either knocking them in the head on the way to their vehicle in the parking lot or breaking in their home to get their hands on the meds.

11. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I am close to a situation where great grandparents are now raising their great grandchild. One parent and one grandparent live under the same roof, but the raising is left to the great grandparents.

12. reVOLt

reVOLt Contributor

This thread is seriously making me rethink my "legalize it all" stance.

Growing up,marijuana was very easy to get...I knew a lot of people that used it,and even though it was called a gateway drug,I don't remember anyone graduating to stronger stuff.

Been out of that loop for a long time,I guess people are graduating to stronger stuff these days ... Didn't realize heroin was so easy to get.

13. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Still should be the stance

14. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Pills are going to make the meth problem look like a passing fad, if it hasn't already.

15. Tenacious D

Ballpark estimate from someone who has worked in the field for more than a decade:

99% of all kids in State's custody are the result of drug-addicted parents.

16. Tenacious D

I know we've talked about this before, but can you give me the cliff's on the main advantages of "legalize it all"?

I seriously don't recall what that entails, or why.

17. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

First off we're not ever going to solve the issue. People like drugs, so they'll always be a market. I think the making it illegal adds to the cost and problem, since the people the providing and selling them are going to working in the black market. The same way banning booze did little but create organized crime in this country.

Also even though doing drugs has a cost to the user and most unfortunately their friends and family, it's a victimless crime.

18. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

:popcorn:

19. Daddy Gee

Daddy Gee Chieftain

yep. When I was in high school and at UT, the upper end of the drug spectrum was weed. Usually the biggest problem you ever saw was somebody who had a few too many beers.

If you partied at all, you could get weed through friends of friends. Occasionally you'd hear about somebody messing around with cocaine, but not that often. At least in my crowd.

20. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

Yeah, that's pretty ****ing horrible. Those women should be locked up. No questions asked.