GrantLand Article

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by GahLee, Sep 17, 2014.

1. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

They said something in a mumbled voice about "kissing the rings."

2. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

bullcrap. He speaks bluntly and tersely, then moves on.

3. limpleg

limpleg He gone. No, really.

so Butch is trying to use clichés to motivate fans and his team to buy him time? that's good stuff

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I'm talking about to the team.

5. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Why else would he spout the stuff he does?

His agent, as well as anyone with an IQ above 70, knows our fan base.

6. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

I don't consider it him buying time. I just think it's who he is. If he starts winning the "very foundation" and "brick by brick" stuff will fall to the side and it'll just be some other mantra like "maintaining a level of excellence".

Saban could drop his pants, spread his cheeks and shit on the floor at this point, his accolades speak for themselves.

7. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

And Butch's accolades include a mediocre resume. He has to pull this stuff.

8. limpleg

a quick search of his interviews will show some of what you mention above and quite a bit of "didn't get it done", "gotta do better" "gotta play 60 minutes", "have to do a better job blocking and tackling"...those are all clichés and he uses them all the time.

9. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I will be honest, I am so hungry for anything right now after #ddiapos, I'll take it. No ashamed to say it. Now, he has to start winning at some point, of course.

10. GahLee

I don't think he has to, rather he chooses to but we can agree to disagree on that.

11. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

He, and everyone else, saw what saying the word 'britches' and wearing orange ones did for one of the top 3 worst coaches in NCAA history. Our fans eat that crap up.

12. GahLee

Every coach says that shit. Saban isn't coining catchphrases, he never has.

13. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

And so do I. I just hope there is some substance there under all the cliches.

Jury is still out.

14. NorrisAlan

Good God, I would hate to see who could be ahead of him.

15. limpleg

I think he's trying to get a pissed off fanbase fired up and united and likes to have fun with it an be creative. His recruiting has proven he likes to be creative. I simply doubt that he is doing it hoping it buys him extra time and don't think that has entered his mind a bit. "hey, lets get these fans fired up because if we don't beat somebody, I may not have a yr 4 and if they buy into clichés like team #118 or brick by brick, we may get an extra year."
    That just seems extremely silly to me and its not how a D1 coach thinks or plans.

16. NorrisAlan

Oh, and Butch does and has done a lot more than just cliche's to repair our broken program. Bringing nearly every lettermam back under the VFL umbrella and embracing them goes a long, long, LONG way with me.

17. GahLee

Well that's true. And I think that speaks more to what I was saying. He knows how starved the fan base is for a winner. He can't give us what we want right now so he's giving us (using us as a general term here) what we want to hear. He doesn't have to do it but I believe it's who he is.

Like I said earlier, I have no doubt that if the wins come, so will new mantras.

18. GahLee

It's the same guy that used a bucket hat to recruit a kid. Which worked by the way.

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

yeah exactly the same thing as "brick by brick"

20. snoball5278

snoball5278 Contributor

all a part of the process. imo.