**GRAPHIC** Bath Salt Lunatic Tortures Dog in Jonesborough, TN

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, May 31, 2012.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

The dog was abuse for 2 hours. The weasel-like creature was killed in seconds, and had an 80 % chance of slowly starving to death over the next to Alaskan winter months.

2. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I understand. I expected as much, and I don't have a problem with it. I am not sure everyone shares this view though.

Let me ask this. If a man who owns a female dog kills its puppies by striking them in the head with a hammer after they are a few days or weeks old, is there anything wrong with this?

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

Legally, no. The deaths were swift. I hate it, but that's life. My dad did that very thing on more than one occasion growing up.

4. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

His intent isnt too sadistically torture an animal. A little different than tossing a dog in the dryer for fun.

5. WM

WM Active Member

With pot most everyone enters the curiosity phase and either likes it or does not. I never was a big smoker myself so if knowing it's easier to get isn't going to change the appeal to me.

6. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Do you hate it to the point that you would want it to be illegal? Plenty of folks do.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'd prefer it to be illegal. Drop them off at animal control. Let them see if they can do anything for them.

8. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

There is a difference in animal cruelty for the thrill of it or due to neglect and using animals to further human life. I don't have an issue with medical testing of animals to help cure a disease at all. Comparing the torture of animals for no useful purpose other than thrill and using animal testing for treatments/cures to save lives is an apples to oranges situation. Jmo.

9. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

The FDA endorses testing for cosmetics as well. It's not just about saving lives.

10. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

So what elevates the puppies above something like a game animal?

11. JayVols

I have no problem with ending that.

I am an old farm boy. Still live on it. I have seen life and death of animals my entire life. Around age 9 or 10, I helped my dad saw up a dead calf while still inside the cow using two key rings and piano wire. We saved the cow. Yes, there were financial implications, but we could have just beefed her. We did it to benefit the animal as much as anything. I have "pulled" countless calves to save both animals. We had a calf born in sub zero temps. The mother rejected it. The little guy would have froze to death quickly. I loaded him in my truck, carried him into my living room and dried him with a hair dryer. This bull was made a steer so he could live his entire life on our farm. Despite losing nearly $1,000 (not counting feed, vaccinations, etc) he died on our farm of natural causes.I have put a bullet in dying cattle to ease their suffering. I have rescued injured wildlife and turned them over to TWRA for rehabilitation. I have killed many a chicken to feed the family mostly before the age of 10. I have even shot family pets that would be dead in a matter of minutes so I could end their suffering. None of this was "easy". I respect life as well as death. I gave each situation careful consideration the primary goal being to cause as little pain and suffering to the animal. I have no issues whatsoever with using animals as food as long as they are killed quickly and with as little pain as possible or to further human life through medical testing. Even at that, there should be strict protocols to prevent as much suffering as possible. Using animals for trivial purposes such as cosmetics, I disagree with that. Good or bad- the fact of the matter is that humans are the top of the food chain. I believe animals are to be used by humans for nontrivial purposes (food and medicine). Even so, we must take that responsibility seriously to be as "humane" as possible when utilizing animals for worthy purposes. We must be good stewards of our resources. Vanity is not a noble use for animals.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2012
  12. JayVols

Societal norms. Puppies are a fine meal in some places.

13. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I have no problem with any of this. I have had similar experiences myself and most likely share very similar views all around on this topic. My point is animal cruelty laws are unevenly leveled and based on sentiment and hurt feelings.

14. JayVols

Absolutely. I'm sure money has nothing to do with it either- i.e. the cosmetics industry.

15. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I am certain a large portion of it is. Most things to do with government have it as the root.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

If someone eats the puppies, then I don't have a problem with it.

17. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

If eating makes the difference, then what about puppies versus vermin, rats or such?

18. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

Puppies on a Stick! That would make a unique menu item!

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

The way prairie dogs and such are treated out where I live is pretty terrible, in my opinion. And I've never understood the utter disdain for mice/rats. Live-trapping is pretty easy.

When we are get into arthropods or other creatures that do not have very developed brains, I lose my outrage. But I still think they are valuable on a species level.