Greatest award in sports?

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Unimane, Jun 8, 2012.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

this isn't a question about being recognized. it's whether your buddy goes to spain hottie #1 "hey you know who this guy is?" And what answer gets the panties off faster.

I'm nothing, but a homer.

2. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

Pretty bold before I mention whether we're talking men's or women's curling.

3. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Brushed ice really gets me going.

4. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

I'd have to say FIFA Ballon d'Or in terms of internationally. Being recognized as the best player in the world in the world's most popular sport is a pretty hard personal achievement to top. I don't even really care for soccer but that achievement is beyond outstanding.

Domesticly, I'd say Heisman. All the fanfare that goes into it is unlike any other personal achievement. Superbowl MVP gets his turn in the spotlight, I just think the Heisman spotlight is a lot brighter.

Off-topic: I think the best trophy is the Stanley Cup. All major sport trophies are [itch bay] in comparison.

5. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Nothing compares to Cal Ripken Jr's 2,632 consecutive games played in MLB, imo. It's a testament to talent, determination, durability, and luck.

6. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

That's a record. Not an award.

I don't even think it's up there in most impressive records, either. It's baseball. Half the game is spent sitting on a bench and 80% of the remaining time is spent standing around.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2012
  7. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

Plenty compares to it.

8. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Olympic Gold Medal

9. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Still not buying it.

What is Michael Jordan's greatest achievement?

Muhammed Ali's?

10. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Ok, sell it. It's my opinion. Competing against the rest of the world and winning a gold medal in the name of your country seems pretty good to me. If not to you, then so be it.

11. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Cheatham Co. 6th grade Jr. Pro Basketball MVP

The rest are a distant second.

12. cotton

Are you really going to argue that the crowning moment for either one of those two guys was winning Olympic gold? Do you think Evander Holyfield would trade his HWC belt for the gold medal he should have won?

Pretty good and greatest are not the same things.

13. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

You're the one arguing, not me. However, in my opinion, the medal would mean more.

14. cotton

I don't blame you. I wouldn't try to argue that point, either.

15. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

You win, Mr. Lawyer. Case closed.

16. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

162 games year in and year out is legit. I've seen tough ass men not be able to do it in one year. One year. One [uck fay]ing year.

17. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

The 1939 Brad's Tire Care-Car Lube and Hair Care National Champioship, Alabama's 4th, comes to mind!

18. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Fastest man alive title is the biggest, IMO. I'm not sure that's an award though.

19. JayVols

This. I know it's a record rather than an award. It's still the [uck fay]ing most impressive 'record' out there. To be able to play that many consecutive games is beyond impressive. You just hate baseball and lack any clue of what it represents if you think it's nothing. The least likely pro sports record to be broken, imo.

NY, lots of hate here for America's game. Unsophisticated bastages....

20. JayVols

Crazy talk.