Hart's Due Diligence in Hiring Tyndall

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by Tenacious D, Apr 23, 2014.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Given how quickly this all unfolded, I think that it is reasonable to wonder how much due diligence Hart could have completed on Tyndall, before hiring him, and how thoroughly it might have been done, in such a short timeframe.

I ask, because Coach Tyndall's explanation of both the cause and conclusion of the NCAA's investigation seem so disparate from one another.

Even more curious is the fact that the case was concluded via a summary disposition, whereby penalties were announced as a result of several violations, many involving Tyndall himself, and to which Morehead State agreed to have occurred. And so, I wonder if Dave Hart ever got to the bottom of which account of those events was most believable, or important.

First, Coach Tyndall's remarks, during yesterday's presser:
    Now, the NCAA's findings:

Apparently, Tyndall first claimed that the representative (booster) was a "talent evaluator"......

And then later, that the same representative was an actual coach at high school 3, where the impermissible actions were taking place.

I sure hope that Dave Hart had a chance to research this before making the hire, and was able to get to the bottom of it. Because it seems far removed from being "clear", at this point.

2. Tenacious D

3. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Welp. Either the NCAA report is incorrect or the guy lied about wrongdoings in his introductory press conference. Kind of funny how so many are lauding him for "manning up" to accept responsibility for his wrongdoings while simultaneously scolding Pearl for lying to avoid his.

4. Tenacious D

I can't fathom that Tennessee's new coach would have bald-face lied at his into presser.

But then, I never expected Tennessee to hire a coach who would need to do so.

5. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Laughingly scary.

6. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

I see no way in which this was a good hire for us.

7. Tenacious D

That NCAA Report (linked here) should be mandatory reading for all Vawls fans.

8. Tenacious D

Who wants to set the over/under on the number of media members who will ask him why he lied at the presser?

I'll offer it to be at: 0

9. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

So I guess Tenn D is not a Tyndall fan?

10. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

Tyndall is a good hire - not the best given what was available - but Tenny just has some sort of hatvol & Oklahoma state type hate with Tyndall for whatever reason.

11. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Let's just make this shit semi-pro already so we don't have to be a sleazebag to be a head coach. And we as fans don't have to worry about character guys being our head coach and then demanding answers when he is a good guy and goes 10-18.

12. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

It is semi pro wrapped around the NCAA logo.

13. Tenacious D

I like for things to be done in an expert fashion. Absent that, I want them done satisfactorily, at a minimum. Hart doesn't seem capable of either. Tyndall's hiring is just another bullet in that long list of indictments against him. JMHO.

If we were going to hire a guy with this much NCAA baggage, how in the world we skipped on Ben Howland to go get Donnie Tyndall, is just inexcusable.

I think that the guy will likely win games here, for sure. I don't think that he's a Championship level coach, or even one who will consistently get us near the Final Four, but he'll win some games. But, I also think that he's a guy who not only skirts the rules, but what's more, he seems to be rather terrible, even at that.

How terrible is he?

Well, he couldn't even keep his shit together for the intro presser, at least without lying. Not "misspeaking". Not "didn't give details". Not "had a different perspective" - flat-out lied. And that's the only conclusion that a reasonable person could come to, if they read that NCAA report (linked on here, somewhere) and review his comments at the presser.

He intentionally misrepresented the facts of the NCAA's findings - and those to which Morehead State admitted and agreed to their truth - so as to minimize both the violations and his direct and persistent role in having committed them. That is, after he first tried to claim that he believed that the booster was a "talent evaluator" , and at some later point, claimed that he thought that the same person was an actual coach of the high school in question. And all of this after he KNEW that the guy was an alum, and that he had donated money to Morehead State, specifically for the basketball program.

He just stood there and lied. And our Administration is too incompetent to have caught it, and too smugly self-protective to be capable of now admitting the error. And worse, although not unexpectedly, our local media - the best in the business at reporting things after the fact, and which they knew six months ago - is too yielding, impotent or apathetic to do anything about it.

I can't just stop being a Tennessee fan. I wouldn't, even if I could.

But damn, at some point, can't we get one thing - anything - right?

So, yeah, we're stuck with Tyndall now, and all that will come with him, the good and the bad.

Go Vawls!

14. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

I don't care that he lied. And I don't give a shit if he cheats. The only way I'll care is if he gets us in trouble doing so in the future.

15. Tenacious D

If anyone on this board - and think of the diverse array of personalities, perspectives and values represented here - could have been given the right to make this hire on Tennessee's behalf, and would have landed on Donnie Tyndall - speak up, and state your reasons.

And if not, and no one amongst a group of (largely) reasonable people would have hired Tyndall - then why are we now compelled or feel so beholden as to think, and argue, that it was right and best for Hart to have done so?

It's like when people tell me that I have to root for the Titans, because they are in Tennessee, or worse, that they are "Tennessee's team". I don't agree with that, and in fact, hold a disdain for their organization that is somewhere on par with Florida and public education.

I'm not going to support something just because I'm a fan. And I'm damned sure not going to sacrifice my intellectual honesty, in order to do so.

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

That's the problem. He's not very good at not getting caught.

17. Tenacious D

This is nonsensical, even for you, Bass.

Here, work this equation (you should use a pencil, not a pen):

Donnie Tyndall skirts the rules + Donnie Tyndall is bad at skirting said rules = X

Solve for "X" as representative of the natural conclusion you should expect to unfold.

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

And it's ridiculously easy to not get caught. I'd say it's a pretty huge red flag.

19. Tenacious D

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. I really do.

20. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Tyndall would have been the 5th or 6th choice if I were an AD.