Herman Cain's 9-9-9 tax reform plan

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by CardinalVol, Oct 3, 2011.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Best guess would be you should have at max 16K withheld from your paychecks every yeah unless one of you is self-employed.

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

fair enough, but i'm not sure how it's relevant to the discussion then.

3. countvolcula

countvolcula New Member

Welfare is the biggest tax burden in this country

Fix it, and a lot of the tax mess is fixed

JMO though

4. volinbham

volinbham Member

I like it in principle but see the following problems:

1) does shift burden (some of that I'm okay with) - should exempt food and/or first "$x" of family spending from national sales tax.
    2) opens the door to the national sales tax that later Congress's can raise - it would never go away and represents a new revenue stream.

I prefer a simplified tax code with maybe 3 marginal rates and considerably fewer deductions/credits - similar to the Debt Commission recommendation and/or Ryan plan.

5. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Would any of the rates be safe?

6. volinbham

volinbham Member

No but we wouldn't be adding a new revenue stream

7. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

by more of the burden, do you mean some?

8. MG1968

MG1968 New Member

amazing how a candidate, with a serious plan of reforming the current tax code, will bring out defenders of the current tax code

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

I see what you are saying. I am just saying that a sales tax eats into the disposable income of a well-off person. So what does it eat into for a person with no real disposable income?

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

So criticizing a proposed plan is the same as defending the current one? Fascinating. Criticizing the proposed nomination of Ron Paul is the same as supporting Obama.

11. MG1968

MG1968 New Member

didn't say that, all I'm saying is that everyone agrees that the current tax code is unfair and is a major burden on the economy. Along comes a serious plan to reform/replace the current US tax system and suddenly you have people defending the IRS. Cain's plan isn't perfect and he's really going to have to answer in more detail who his advisers were on it.

there are even some on the right claiming that 999 will create an unnecessary burden on the "poor", why is expecting everyone to contribute "draconian" but wanting to increase the burden on the successful considered "fair"?

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

Like I said, it has to do with disposable income. Paying 9 % more on something means a lot when you have narrow margins as it is.

I am speaking about math and finance, you are speaking about philosophy.

13. MG1968

MG1968 New Member

the theory is that when you lower the cost of doing business, business will pass that savings along to the customer by lowering prices, couple that with the fact that the payroll tax is eliminated, and the burden on the poor is mitigated, especially when you combine that with the "prebate" portion of the Fair Tax

why should someone who is poor not have any responsibility to the system that provides the safety net he or she uses? yes, that's philosophical, but you can't continue shifting the burden to an ever smaller percentage of the population

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

I don't know that the theory goes into practice these days.

If there is a prebate, I don't have as much of a beef with it. Although that goes back to the problem of conditioning people to expect a check from the government, even if it is technically money they had to begin with.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

Are you baiting me into LGisms, haha?

I have no doubt our super rich will find a way to endure.

[video]http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-september-21-2011/moneybrawl---the-extinction-of-subway--bill-o-reilly---the-super-rich[/video]

16. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I agree that more should share the tax burden MG. However, the theory you speak of is just that, an educated guess. I have seen little evidence that lower costs will equate to a drop in the price of everyday goods. It just hasn't happened that way. Companies have moved to Mexico and overseas to lower costs, but that has not been reflected in prices while many corporations are reaping record profits. If it guaranteed lower prices, I could be more easily persuaded to support the measure. I am just a skeptic to most of this talk.

17. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

HD TVs selling for 30% of what they sold 5 years ago doesn't indicate that lower costs equate to lower prices?

18. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I would say that most all technology of this sort gets cheaper and smaller over time. See VCRs. It's not the reults of lower taxes.

19. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

who is reaping record profits? Do you mean margins? Clearly, cheaper input pricing yields lower retail pricing. I think we have seen a couple of very expensive commodity prices impact overall pricing over the past couple of years, or we'd all be seeing lower pricing. Competition is just too rampant to let big margins remain a staple of the marketplace.

20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

considering google among others use every opportuity to book revenue overseas rather than here we can safetly assume that taxes are some sort of impediment to companies doing business here.