Heupel to OU Freak Out Thread

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Nov 28, 2021.

1. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

There won’t be a bottle of mustard left in the state once they start getting the calls against them that have traditionally gone their way…

JayVols likes this.
  2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He was fired because of his personality off the field. He is a weird son of a [itch bay] that didn't recruit to Florida's standards and then got hit by ncaa infractions which kept him from recruiting off campus. He didn't care because he hates recruiting off campus

3. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

4. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

Venables to OK would be a shocker IMO. Wonder if there is any serious interest there?

5. yont sum iss?

yont sum iss? Contributor

I would say OU needs to do everything they can to make Fickell happen.

6. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Was told today that not a single booster is in favor of him becoming the next HC. If Bob wants to help him out he will have to do the dance.

7. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I would cut this dude

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

I bet it is because they fear he could become too powerful to control.

zehr27 likes this.
  9. IP

IP Super Moderator

Might as well have tweeted "I do not follow college football and have no sense of history."

10. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

If I was a booster at a blue blood (or let's say top 15) program I would do everything in my power to prevent Mark Stoops from being hired. Could you do worse? Sure. But I think people who know CFB can give him credit for what he's done at UK while realizing he's just not the guy for a big time job unless he can guarantee he brings a big time OC. And at that point why not just hire that big time OC.

zehr27 likes this.
  11. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

I have said from the beginning, Lebby is definitely in it.

12. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Is Lebby really considered a better hire than Kiffin?

13. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Hoo boy would that be a jump to take over a monster.

14. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

IMO he’s Mike Riley. Done a great job building a competitive team at a place that isn’t used to being competitive. That’s a difficult task, and he should be commended for it. At the same time, I’m not sure building a bottom-tier team into a mid-tier team is a sign that you’re going to be able to meet expectations at a place that actually has them.

justingroves likes this.
  15. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

They have almost always hired coordinators to take over and he is well liked by some of their top boosters.

justingroves likes this.
  16. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

17. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I know, but UCF/Ole Miss to Norman is a jump. Stoops was at Florida and Riley was at OU. Just a different animal all together than what he has been around as a coach.

18. cpninja

cpninja Member

Any boosters that seriously put their money behind Mark Stoops at OU need a conservatorship because its clear they are not mentally fit to manage themselves

I dont even particularly dislike Mark Stoops but what he's doing at Kentucky is his ceiling and it's clear as day and it's better for everyone involved to understand that and leave him be at Kentucky

tvolsfan likes this.
  19. IP

IP Super Moderator

I agree, but I don't think many realize how different the two things are. Going from bad to a bowl team most years is just a different task than going from bowl team to perennial contender. Becoming a bowl team is about consistency and attention to detail. Becoming a perennial contender includes that but also balances in staying fresh and always having contingencies both in strategy and in the roster.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

Gosh, now I really hope they take him.