Hilary Rosen's Comments on Ann Romney

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by CardinalVol, Apr 12, 2012.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

She clearly wouldn't have said "hasn't work a day in her life" had she had some office job the last few years, no. There probably would have been another "class warfare" type argument made, and the "stay at home mom" thing would have never been injected into the discourse.

It isn't about stay at home moms. That is just a convenient vehicle in this.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

So it is only valuable if you choose it?

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

there is the obvious implication that because she is a stay at home mom and doesn't do "real work" that her opinion matters less. There is no doubt about it. I agree it's primarily about them being out of touch rich people, but it's obvious she thinks it makes it "even worse" that she is a stay at home mom.

4. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

My wife has an open invitation to go back to her old job pre-kid anytime she wants.

If I were to lose my job and for the short term stayed at home until I found another one and my wife went to work, I would be a) awful at it (and I would probably eventually strangle my son), and it would be b) much less valuable than my wife being there who wants to do it.

That's not to say I or Rosen don't love our kids. It's just that in both situations it's not what we want to do.

If Rosen wants to work, that's fine. My mom worked from 7:00-3:30 every day when I was a kid. I have no problem with working moms. But let's just not pretend her time as a stay at home mom was Rosen's #1 choice and it was what she wanted to do.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

Well, you and millions of other people seem to think that. I don't see it.

6. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I have a really hard time believing this woman that obviously takes her career, which happens to be choosing words, very seriously inadvertently said something like this while meaning to imply something different.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

She said she never worked (a job) a day in her life. I can completely see anyone putting their foot in their mouth like that.

8. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

You put the part in parentheses you added for clarity and really clears things up. You don't think a career wordsmith realizes that?

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

I swear to you, I would never have guessed people would have taken her statement the way they did before this happened. Of course, I am not a wordsmith. So I don't know.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Part of that is the concept of going after someone for being a stay at home mom is pretty radical to me. It would be like pointing out that Condoleeza Rice is barren when she talks about younger generations.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

This column perfectly captures the double-speak about this story: Nasty comments toward Ann Romney cast light on haters who can't handle feminine role | Fox News

The first part of the opinion piece navel gazes and (literally) psycho-analyzes all sorts of "people like Rosen," including Obama and others who have actually come out condemning her remarks, and navel-gazes at the merits of "femininity" and home life.

Then, the last two paragraphs actually leave the world of make-believe and rhetoric, and speak to the heart of the matter: The author of this unwittingly admits that he knows full-[uck fay]ing well what Rosen was saying, and it wasn't actually about being a stay at home mom but rather being of the means to AFFORD to be a stay at home mom her whole adult life. Of course, in the process of writing the conclusive paragraph, our esteemed Dr. Ablow makes a useless point for the vast majority of American families: many well-adjusted men enjoy being the providers, and women taking care of the family. That may well be the ideal for the majority of Americans. So how does that relate to the economic reality of the current American family? Oh wait, it doesn't. Thanks for proving Rosen's actual point, Ablow.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

KidB, this guy is also an illustration of the many different meanings of "feminism." He uses it as interchangeable with "maternal." Not saying it is wrong, just saying it is a very malleable word. Like "work."

13. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

So what was her point? That because mitt Romney's wife has had the financial good life he isn't in tune with women's economic problems? Why even bother making that statement when the combined "real work" experience of TE Obamas is no greater than Ann's?

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

Yes, that is her point. Any argument you want to make about it's validity or how that analysis compares to Obama is fair game. Acting like she was attacking mothers raising their children full-time is just American sensationalism.

15. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I'm sure that was a large portion of her point. I don't see how it such a huge leap in logic to see that this woman has an issue with the concept of a housewife.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

I feel it is a huge leap of logic because then she would be self-loathing, as she did spend some time as a house wife/partner/whatever.

Of course, the esteemed Dr. Ablow would think such self-loathing is consistent with all lesbian career women-- ironic that she's still a career woman despite the contradictory spell of stay-at-home mother. I guess one can't let details distract from hard-hitting psychobabble.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

Rosen should really have given me a call, I'm doing a better job defending her than she is.

18. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

That time period was obviously really special to her. How long did that last?

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

You really are

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

If we're living in a world where questioning a woman's work in the home is so taboo, why is it okay to question the amount of time she spent doing that?