POLITICS Hoda Muthana - Ex-ISIS Wife

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by Unimane, Feb 21, 2019.

1. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I've found the case of this woman to be fairly interesting. Muthana is a Muslim woman who grew up in Alabama and joined ISIS, marrying, eventually, three different guys, the first two who were killed. Now she wants to return to the United States and, naturally, it would seem, we have told her no. Trump even made a special tweet about it.

The interesting part is her status. Is she an American citizen? She was born to Yemeni parents here in the US, but they were diplomats, so they argue she was exempt for birthright citizenship. Her family contends they were not diplomats at the time of her birth. Muthana states she was issued a US passport when she left for Syria, whereas the Trump administration says no. Seems like an easy thing to check, but ok.

Clearly, under most any circumstance, a woman who decided to leave her country and family, call them both infidels worthy of destruction and join something as evil as ISIS wouldn't get a second thought as to entry into this country. However, if she is a citizen, can she be denied entry? Certainly she can't be denied due process. And, what level of involvement in ISIS would constitute the government being able to rescind her citizenship, as well?

https://www.npr.org/2019/02/21/696537248/alabama-woman-joined-isis-cant-come-back-trump-says

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/20/world/middleeast/isis-bride-hoda-muthana.html

2. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Well we did specifically drone strike a definite American citizen than joined the Taliban. This seems less extreme.

3. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

As I understand it, she married three different ISIS soldiers, had a child by one, and took part in anti-US propaganda calling for the death of US citizens.

I would also think that checking the time of her birth would fairly easy to do. And a passport can and has been given out mistakenly.

However, if all checks out and she is a US citizen, then she should get due process and then be put in prison for a very long time. I hope she is truly remorseful for her time in Syria, but that doesn't make up for what she did. She wasn't a child, she was 20 years old at the time. Yes, most people are still very stupid at 20, but that doesn't make everything OK.

JayVols likes this.
  4. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

As long as she can't vote on my school board election, I'm good with whatever.

hohenfelsvol, NYY, Volst53 and 7 others like this.
  5. IP

IP Super Moderator

Sort out her citizenship, if she is a citizen then she should spend the rest of her life in prison if she comes back.

Joseph Brant likes this.
  6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

And if she's not a citizen, sorry about your luck

7. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

What is the process for revoking citizenship? Honeslty I have no idea.

8. NorrisAlan

I don't know, but I doubt it can be done without some kind of court hearing.

But in this case, she may have voluntarily revoked it by serving with a foreign military:

https://www.usa.gov/renounce-lose-citizenship

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

If joining a terrorist organization and moving to another country doesn't do it, there's something wrong

hohenfelsvol likes this.
  10. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

That tv show is probably the worst thing she’s done

11. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

she seemed arrogant and smug in her interview. smirky. Like a typical Alabama fan.

12. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Need to photoshop her in a houndstooth hijab.

13. NorrisAlan

Solid

14. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I read something where Pompeo cited a law that children born to working diplomats while in the country doesn't give citizenship. No idea if that is true.

I understand the sentiments about her actions should result in revoked citizenship. Part of me agrees completely, but another part says that if we start revoking citizenship for truly vile anti-American actions, it could start down a slippery road.

I have a hard time seeing it as a black & white call. Citizenship guarantees distinct rights & I don't take those rights lightly. I'm actually not sure what I think right now. What I do know is that her actions are beyond reprehensible, and that if she is a US citizen, she should face the full weight of the American justice system.

15. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I can see where you're saying it's a slippery slope, and I know nothing about this person or her situation, but I'd say actively fighting against the US should at least result in citizenship being revoked, I'll even say, in my opinion, I would consider it treason maybe?

16. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I view it as treason, for sure. We have laws to deal with traitors. We're fully capable of handling such an incident.

I'm having trouble putting my feelings into words. I guess what I'm saying, admittedly quite poorly, is that any revocation of citizenship should be done through the US court system not via politicians.

17. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Agreed

18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I agree with that

JayVols likes this.
  19. Joseph Brant

Joseph Brant Airbrush Aficionado

This is where I'm at; the processes in place are there for a reason, frustrating as they may be at times

20. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

The 14th amendment excludes the children of diplomats (not, as Trump wants people to believe, the children of immigrants). However, this may be more complicated since I thought I read her parents were no longer diplomats at the time?

In any case, Trump cannot just revoke citizenship by himself for any reason. Natural born citizens cannot have their citizenship revoked against their will under any circumstances as far as I can tell. This woman’s situation may just come down to whether she was a natural born citizen in the first place.

JayVols likes this.