How long does White last as AD?

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Jan 29, 2021.

?

How long?

1. 2 years or less

6 vote(s)
    13.0%
  2. 2 to 4 years

18 vote(s)
    39.1%
  3. 4 to 7 years

17 vote(s)
    37.0%
  4. 7 years or more

5 vote(s)
    10.9%
  1. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

Jimmy Rane is probably a fairly typical big time booster. I’ve never heard a good explanation for why, but people routinely paint him as some vindictive maniac lurking in the shadows, or as Bobby Lowder 2.0. He’s no saint but he’s neither of those things.

And I’d love to hear the explainer on Gus Malzahn being a POS. I’d imagine 2006 message board rumors would be the only source.

2. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Did you forget how he got his chance at Arkansas? Almost forgot we have a dip shit Auburn fan on our message board.

IP likes this.
  3. IP

IP Super Moderator

Doesn't sound like the job is too big, it sounds like it isn't as advertised and the title doesn't match the role.

justingroves likes this.
  4. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Look if [uck fay] Auburn wants a puppet I'll go over there for a year or two. I got nothing to worry about because the boosters aren't capable of not [uck fay]ing everything up so I'll get a front row seat to the inferno and take a paycheck.

Memtownvol, NorrisAlan and ole_orange like this.
  5. HCKevinSteele

I wouldn’t say that’s an unfair assessment necessarily, though the job not being as advertised is probably the most true. The title does match the role, it’s just that the portion of the job that was too big for him is incredibly hard at Auburn, it’s not something AD’s at other schools don’t have to be good at. For example, this far Danny White appears to be doing well at it.

6. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Jesus H Christ,

[uck fay] AUBURN

7. HCKevinSteele

I don’t know exactly where you’re going with this so please enlighten me.

8. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

How did Guz get his Arkansas job?

SetVol13 likes this.
  9. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Essentially Gus Malzahn was the HS head coach of the universal #1 QB prospect in America who manipulated the kid into signing with whatever school offered him a spot on the coaching staff as part of a package deal. Gus is hired as WR coach and then immediately bails for OC job elsewhere. Kid who followed him has a meh freshman season and transfers transfers to USC upon him leaving. Ultimately his QB career is a bust and he never makes any money playing football. Meanwhile 15 years later Gus has banked like 50 million. All made possible via Gus using that HS QB to advance his own selfish agenda as opposed to having the best interest of a kid who trusted him with his life.

EDIT: Totally forgot they also had a 5* WR that Gus steered to Arky as well as part of the package deal. So in reality he screwed with the lives of 2 kids in order to obtain his own selfish agenda.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2022
  10. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Gus promised 4 recruits to boosters from Springdale. I believe he delivered on 3. After the marriage that was forced didn't work out he bolted.

11. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

TDVol1989 and zehr27 like this.
  12. HCKevinSteele

Probably worth noting the following:

-Gus was not WR coach at Arkansas that year, he was the OC, so at least in theory he would have been able to deliver on the promise that he would run his offense and these kids would have the chance to continue to play in it.
    -Malzahn was not given the chance to run his offense. Houston Nutt, being the child that he is, benched Mustain as soon as he made a mistake after an article came out with a quote Mustain gave in high school calling Nutt a dork (for having taken all of the credit for playcalling after a win and offering none to the players). Very possible Malzahn and Mustain both stay if Malzahn is allowed to run his offense.
    -With the benefit of hindsight we know Mustain was not going to be some superstar QB, he simply wasn't that good. The narrative that Malzahn tanked the career of a kid with a likely superstar future is misguided at best.
    -I'm not going to sit here and say Malzahn would have directed his players the exact same way if he wasn't going to Arkansas to be the OC, there's no way to know for sure what he might have done. But the implication that he just used those players to get the job is asinine. He was a really successful coach with an innovative offense and obviously hoped to have success at Arkansas with those players. And those kids had incredible HS careers, in large part due to Malzahn's coaching. Yes, they did go to Arkansas largely because of Malzahn and he did leave after one year, but mostly because it had become a toxic and untenable situation. That situation unfolding the way it did was not really Malzahn's doing, not to say he was blameless, but it doesn't unfold that way if Nutt doesn't promise to let him run his offense (and in public too) and then immediately back out of that promise and force Malzahn to run a dumb as hell mashup of mostly his offense and random pieces of Malzahn's.

13. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

yea hard disagree there

14. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Yeah he was definitely getting that job with or without those kids.

15. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

I lived here during all of it. Every bit of it was shady. Gus used those players to get a job at Arky…period. Mustain was a spoiled brat. Gus ran from Arkansas when Nutt didn’t bow to him. Houston felt threatened.

And that’s just the short version. Lots of people here thought Gus had a brilliant offense. His Fort Smith teams were great. But he ultimately turned about to be a more brilliant business man.

As for Auburn, they rank up there with Clemson as the best closers in college football recruiting. It is a shady program and I called it here years ago. I think Kiffin ends up there. Match made in heaven.

I will never forget the drunk frat boys outside Hess Hall in 1985 after beating them chanting “Auburn…Auburn, how’d you like to bite my ass” for hours. They are like the U’s little brother as far as I’m concerned. And we don’t play them this year so who cares?!?

What matters is after all our dysfunctional AD BS for the last 15 years, we have one that broke it off in them. Go Damn Vols Danny!

zehr27 likes this.
  16. KyleAlexanderfan

KyleAlexanderfan Well-Known Member

I’m ready for the Ole Miss fan melt when Kiffin jumps to Auburn this December.

utvol0427 and VolDad like this.
  17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He and Hugh Freeze used high school kids to get jobs at the college level

TDVol1989 and zehr27 like this.
  18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It is 100% how he got his first collegiate coaching job and as soon as he got the opportunity to leave, he did

TDVol1989 likes this.
  19. HCKevinSteele

Come on Groves, you’re purposely ignoring context with this. It’d be one thing to go with your recruits to a MAC or CUSA school then leave for something bigger. He left for *Tulsa*. Hell Mustain has publicly said he doesn’t blame him for leaving, it wasn’t Malzahn’s fault the situation got toxic. Nutt essentially forced him out.

20. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club