How long does White last as AD?

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Jan 29, 2021.

?

How long?

1. 2 years or less

6 vote(s)
    13.0%
  2. 2 to 4 years

18 vote(s)
    39.1%
  3. 4 to 7 years

17 vote(s)
    37.0%
  4. 7 years or more

5 vote(s)
    10.9%
  1. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

He definitely was doing things that made him attractive but those kids were what tipped the scale and he knew it.

InVolNerable and justingroves like this.
  2. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Its not that it's terrible it's that he had to know Nutt had basically no idea of what was going on until he was told it was happening. That's generally not a good way to start out with your new boss. Not sure I would call it sleezy just unprofessional. Imo

InVolNerable likes this.
  3. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I always kinda liked Gus and would’ve been fine a few years back if he was at UT.

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He never did anything new, hell Pruitt was putting defensive players in position before the snap in 2018

PilotFlyingJ and IP like this.
  5. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

I 100% get where you’re coming from there. For 99% of coaches out there I think unprofessional may be a fair assessment. I suppose it may be anyway, but with Gus (and I don’t know to what extent people outside the Auburn sphere get this), you have to appreciate that Gus Malzahn is more like a lab nerd than a football coach in terms of social/political skills. There’s a reason some people on Auburn boards only half-jokingly call him autistic.

This same thing kind of explains some misconceptions about how his 2017 contract went down. This was after he’d just beat #1 Georgia and #1 Alabama in the same month. He had AU in a tough spot after those wins and rumors of interest from Arkansas. Auburn’s (since fired) President was an idiot and Jimmy Sexton played his dumb ass. The notion that Gus Malzahn went full political operator in securing that contact is hilarious. He let his agent deal with it and Sexton found an easy mark. The guy just wants to coach football, 15 years before that contract he lived in a trailer and was happy.

zehr27 likes this.
  6. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

The rule changes on hurry up really killed him. That and not recruiting offensive linemen. That 2018 game was probably his worst, I was in the stands and called probably 30-40% of plays pre-snap, it didn’t take a football coach to do it. But when he had the horses it didn’t really matter if you knew what was coming. Hell, Gus pecker slapped Pruitt (and Kirby even more so) the prior year and was able to do so because he had the guys to execute. By 2018 his lack of recruiting came home to roost, his offensive line was trash and he was starting a running back that ran hard but was basically a Tauren Poole type.

7. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

yean but he beat bama and won 12 and 10 games while we were in a 10 yr rut of ruts so at that time I woulda taken him in a heartbeat

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

If the taliban had an up and coming coach, I would have considered it back in the Dooley days and end of the jones infection

justingroves likes this.
  9. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

I wouldn't say never. His first few years changed playcalling around the country (along with Chip), but any coach worth a shit isn't giving up 500 yards to him after a film session.

10. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

I really think this guy is THE guy. I hope we give White whatever he needs so his stay in Knoxville is long and prosperous.

11. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

One thing that he absolutely is NOT is incompetent. If you do not like a move he makes, it still makes sense if you know what he is trying to achieve. So far, his rep has absolutely had to have had a boost. He knows what he is doing

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Which means he's the best since Dickey

13. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Really makes you mad when you stop and actually ponder the fools we’ve had running this AD recently. It really should not be that hard to run a competent AD at a school like the University of Tennessee

14. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

We were not going to get a competent AD until that shit show of an administration was fixed. It all goes together.

15. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

I like what I have seen so far which relieves most of the worry I had originally.

16. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Jury is still out for me. I like that he appears competent, but we won't know what we have until we get some rough seas.

zehr27, A-Smith, justingroves and 2 others like this.
  17. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

I think things were somewhat rough when he came in.

Memtownvol and VOLinDAWGland like this.
  18. IP

IP Super Moderator

Any rougher and the stadium would be at the bottom of the ocean

Memtownvol likes this.
  19. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

20. DeonG

DeonG Active Member

Gus was innovative.