I think it would be more beneficial for Tennessee if Florida beats Kentucky today

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by CardinalVol, Mar 4, 2012.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Three reasons why -

1. I think it's consensus that to be a lock we've got to get to Sunday. That said,

2. Do you really want to have to knock off Vandy two weeks in a row to do it? I feel much more comfortable playing Florida than Vandy.

3. Miss St (6 seed) or Ole Miss (7 seed) in quarters. Although RPI is just slightly different, I've got to think a W over State would be more visually appealing to the committee that one over Ole Miss.

Don't get caught up in the hoopla of finishing second. Think long-term and not short-lived hysteria.

edit - I've now edited the original title to clear up any confusion of what I mean in case posters are having general problem understanding the intent of this thread. I am sorry for any confusion I may have caused.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  2. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

I don't think I would feel comfortable about beating Florida three times in one season. That would trump any uncomfort I'd have against Vandy.

3. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I have zero confidence UF can beat Kentucky, but I'm cool with the second place finish.

4. golfballs03

golfballs03 New Member

I agree.

I also think MSU is a scary team to play. I personally don't care who we have to beat on Friday. We just need to get to Saturday. A win there matter 10x more than who we beat on Friday. And if we don't win it doesn't matter anyway

5. CardinalVol

I gurss I am just not as confident getting to Sunday makes us a lock.

Doesn't matter and uk is dominating. They are the best sec team since 96 kentucky.

6. CardinalVol

And vandy will bw tougher to beat twice than florida three times. This team is not that good.

"This team" meaning Florida, my bad.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  7. IP

IP Super Moderator

If only what I want actually mattered in sports events, haha

8. 7thgroupvolfan

7thgroupvolfan New Member

I threw up in my mouth a little bit just reading the thread title. Why are you so negative in your basketball threads card? Are you worried the team will let you down or something?

They've far and away achieved more than anyone could have expected. They are playing with house money now.

Plus they are playing some of the best basketball in the country right now. I can't believe that I get to say that about this team, but it feels great.

9. CardinalVol

We're this close to getting in the NCAA tournament, and now I want it to happen. I'm not going to be angry if it doesn't, but they've come this far and I want them to seal the deal. They have GOT to make it to Sunday and I think on a neutral court Vandy is better than us. Not a knock on this team, just a statement of fact.

I think a Mississippi State > Florida > Kentucky route is just as good and easier route as Ole Miss > Vandy > Kentucky. That's all. I'm trying to look at the big picture here.

10. 7thgroupvolfan

Why worry over that which you can't control? I'm just happy for Zo and this team. As hat stated earlier, if that's Cam's last game in TBA ..he went out with a bang.

11. CardinalVol

If posting on a message board that I prefer team A to win over team B because of how I think it helps my favorite team qualifies as worrying over what I can't control, then we should probably just shut down every message board in the world and stop a lot of worrying.

12. 7thgroupvolfan

Read your thread title again. I don't see an "I" anywhere in it. I will not cheer for florida nor will i cheer of kentucky. I hate both teams equally. What be will be.

13. CardinalVol

Please feel free to cheer or not cheer for whoever in the hell you want to cheer or don't want to cheer for.

I'm just trying to point out that everyone in the world says we should cheer for Kentucky today because it is the best for UT, and I'm saying that may not necessarily be the case.

I will be more analytic in my thread titles to make sure everyone can grasp the intended meaning.

14. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

If Patrick Young continues to play this well then I'd rather go against Vandy all day every day. Plus Miss. State >> Ole Miss.

15. golfballs03

golfballs03 New Member

Tom Satkowiak and Tobias Harris are both rooting for UK.

16. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Well, if they are, then....

I like the thought of this thread, Card. Finishing with a 2nd seed isn't necessarily better than finishing with a 3rd seed, unless you get some benefit from it in the tourney. If the path looks better from 3, then why not want 3?

I'm not sure I like one path over another more, though....so I'll take the 2.

17. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I think the SEC tournament has consistently revealed that all kinds of kooky things can happen on Thursday and Friday. This type of speculation may not matter anyway.

18. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Haha....UT has also demonstrated that such conversation is irrelevant as well. Hopefully Zo changes that.

19. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

2 seed it is.

20. golfballs03

golfballs03 New Member

Calipari after the game told the CBS guy that he warned everyone about Tennessee. Said they are flat out a tournament team.

Take w grain of salt.

Also, no way he would have ever said that if pearl were still here