i wonder what official visitors will hear about Chaney/Dooley

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Dick Huffman, Jun 17, 2012.

1. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

If he's doing that, he's an even bigger imbecile than I've previously thought.

2. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Remember when Johnny Majors moved Carl Pickens from DB to WR full time? Pickens never recovered, I heard.

3. volwarrior33

volwarrior33 Member

Fugate is the only one that surprised me. Fugate did a very nice job at FB as a freshman and started the final 5 or 6 games iirc. The move to LB was puzzling to say the least.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

I thought Fugate would be a monster on offense one day, his freshman year.

5. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Chaney couldn't say enough about him. Said he might even take some carries from the RBs, I think.

6. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

I think moving Fugate was more of a scheme thing. We run a lot of single-back sets and there is no need to have his athleticism sitting on the bench. That's just my guess.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

You're probably right. But I think the majority here are not thrilled with a scheme that doesn't use a fullback.

8. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Well, it's not Victor McClure like I thought. Or Jarrod Shaw.

Cheated and looked it up. Victor Thomas.

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Struggle running the ball? Move a good looking FB prospect to LB behind a freshman All American

10. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Fugate is 100% a Kiffin recruit. And Palardy had committed under Kiffin as well. And Clear was a Dooley recruit. I don't think there's a pattern of Dooley failing one group of players any more than another.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

Equal opportunity failure. That's an unorthodox recruiting pitch.

12. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Palardy doesn't fit into the comparison because he wasn't asked to move positions. He just had shit stolen from him and his coach covered it up.

13. volwarrior33

volwarrior33 Member

Things didn't turn out too well then, because I seem to remember Channing Fugate riding the pine behind AJ Johnson while Ben Bartholomew was out there eating dirt ten times a game.

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

15. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Fugate was riding the pine behind Bartholomew. He didn't switch positions until Spring.

16. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I still think Fugate lost something when JJ knocked him cold in practice. That's the only thing I can come up with unless there was a lot of under to radar stuff that they have been able to hide from everyone.

17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Not exactly a strong point for Dooley.

18. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Exactly. Which means either the JJ hit messed him up that bad (wouldn't be the first time something like that has happened for sure), or more evidence the coaching staff has no idea what it is doing.

19. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Yes. There haven't been that many.

20. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Fugate rode the bench behind Bart all year and asked for the move IIRC.