If Hatvol Executive Search Were Handling This...

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by hatvol96, Mar 27, 2015.

1. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Mullin getting into coaching baffles me.

2. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

I just don't see it working out.

3. hatvol96

Hoiberg has given people amnesia about Clyde Drexler's tenure at Houston.

4. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

at this point, just having riches is a giant step forward

5. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

At this point, a vacant AD seat is a step forward.

6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

But but but he's white! Must be an intellectual.

Btw I saw the dream team biography. Not sure I'd hire him to cut my lawn.

7. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

If we hire Rick Barnes, I will quit on Tennessee basketball. Forever. He has done exactly Jack shit at Texas, with more money and a much better recruiting base.

If they hire him, it proves that they simply do not care about basketball, and never, ever will.

Only a fool would continue to invest any more time, money and concern into it, than those actually responsible for it seem to have.

If the thought of hirng Rick Barnes isn't vomitious to you, then you are a f'ing Grade A moron. And you can have it.

8. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Could have remotely gotten excited about Barnes if this was ten years ago. Extremely hard to now. Has a tubby post UK feel to it. That said, at this point if you told me we'd be a consistent tournament team as he is now for a few years, me with a few beers in me would admit he is ok with it.

Would still like to go for one of the hurley or Jacobson though. Imo, he's earned a gamble.

9. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Can anyone name a single coach, in any major sport in a Power 5 Conference, who was shit-canned from one school, and went directly to another team in a Power 5 Conference - and was able to exceed the accomplishments of the first gig, or to even achieve even similar success at the next place?

I'm sure that there must be someone, or dozens, but damned if I can think of a single one.

10. I will have a lot of trouble getting excited or even being optimistic about Barnes when I read things like this:

The embattled (now former) Texas basketball coach will enter a seventh straight offseason without a Sweet Sixteen appearance. The 2015 product he placed on the floor didn’t come anywhere close to reaching preseason projections. Barnes has a 10-33 mark against ranked teams (.232) since 2012. Barnes is 1-7 against Kansas over the last four seasons.

11. hatvol96

if they hire Barnes, it is simple. If Tennessee gets the Providence/Clemson version of Barnes, it's a huge win. If they get the last five years at Texas version of Barnes, we'll be doing this again in three or four years.

12. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

To me, his records at Clemson and Providence are not great

13. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Who's this poster?

14. Now that he's available, would he make your list of ten? If not, how far would you have to go to get to him?

15. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

I agree.

16. hatvol96

Given the leagues he was in and the resources he had, if it's not great it is close enough.

17. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Ha! You think our mediocrity obsessed administration would get rid of him after three or four years of average output? He may end up our all time winningest coach as well, with how easily they seem to be satisfied.

18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Considering who's making the hire, it's a good one. Barnes can reel in talent for a few years and a new regime can replace him. That's the only positive I can see in it. He's dealt with ad cluster ****s at Clemson and Texas.

If he says he's glad to be at the real UT in his press conference, he'll buy himself a year of blind Tennessee homerism.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
  19. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

The real UT and the real color orange! Lifetime contract.

20. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I'll take it.