Indian Official Strip Searched

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Unimane, Jan 14, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I am about a week late with this, perhaps longer, but I still find it interesting. An Indian diplomat in NYC was arrested for having committed a series of crimes in regards to her house maid and the government of India lost its shit because the woman, one, was a diplomat and, two, stripped search. They took down barricades outside the US Embassy in Delhi, forbade the watching of any movies or parties on embassy grounds and, in general, threw a hissy fit over the Indian diplomat.

Meanwhile, the maid, an Indian citizen and kept as a virtual slave (the court papers are pretty disturbing - death threats and manipulation, etc.), was hardly mentioned nor considered in the protests. It brings to mind a little noted detail of many countries in South Asia and the Mideast that the treatment of lower class workers is absolutely atrocious and it's starting to seep into America, as well. Saudi Arabia is particularly awful. That country has a reputation of religious crazies, which it does, but a big issue is that a lot of citizens there are nouveau riche from oil wealth and have servants from imported workers, which they treat like dog shit.

Because the Indian official was a diplomat and India threw such a fit, we, basically, cut a deal to allow the two sides to save face. She was indicted in New York, but allowed to return home to India, where she will, likely, be given a new assignment to the UN and get full immunity that she didn't have before now. My opinion? **** her. I don't care if she was treated like a common criminal (which, she wasn't and was treated exceptionally well, plus given a number of benefits normally not given to suspects), I don't think we should be willing to give into accepting inhuman cultural practices of foreign officials in this country. And, **** India, too. This isn't the first time they've pitched a fit over this type of thing.

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

"it's starting to seep into America, as well"

evidence?

3. Unimane

There have been stories of some of these officials bringing their help in to the country and faking their documents, then keeping them as virtual slaves. I know there was one earlier this year in California.

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

gotcha. I thought you meant evidence that americans were doing this.

5. Unimane

Not other than the sexual predator types, that I know of.

6. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

That is how I took it too.

If she didn't have immunity and was your run of the mill diplomat and not on Consulate grounds, I don't see the issue here. But this kind of game is always played between the states. Surprised they do not make her persona non grata , preventing her from being on a UN post.

7. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

At first I thought the title of this thread was Indy Officially Strip-Searched

8. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

I would imagine it has much more to do with reciprocity than trying to save face. Pick and choose your battles ... by doing this there is a favor in the bank. Nevermind the fact that this poor servant isn't on the DOJ/State Department radar any more than she is on the Indian Gov'ts radar. Collateral damage unfortunately.

9. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Must have misread NYY as the person posting the thread?

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

This isn't part of American culture anymore. Definitely an immigrant/visitor thing when it happens here, but it is happening here now.

11. Volmaul

Volmaul New Member

We are forgetting the important thing here. Was she hot?

12. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Dance? Was there a dance? Shiz is then serious.

13. snoball5278

snoball5278 Contributor