Interesting Gay Marriage Tactic

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by fl0at_, May 10, 2014.

1. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

2. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

What's good for the goose....

3. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Turn about is fair play. It is coming nation wide soon enough, same with legalized pot. And in 20 years we will wonder what all the hullabaloo was about.

Heh, I used hullabaloo in a sentence.

4. fl0at_

Already wondering.

5. hmanvolfan

hmanvolfan Member

Impressed!

6. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

At least she's honest in saying they're forming a faith community of their choosing. I'm curious what the principles of their faith are.

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Is someone arguing accepting gay members isnt a choice of the congregation?

8. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

The point was the topic of what this pastor is arguing for is in conflict with her faith. That's why I'm curious to know what their principles are.

9. fl0at_

Are there points of conflict "in faith" between:

Catholics
    Methodists
    Baptists
    Presbyterian

Etc?

But the big things stay constant, right?

So, based on my cursory observation, it would appear that the difference is allowing homosexuality. But not letting them dance.

10. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Apparently it is not.

I had to do a double take when I saw a Zumba class going on in a Baptist Church's gymnasium before my son's basketball game.

11. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

Allowing homosexuals into the Church is not the issue. Acting as though there's nothing wrong with it and embracing it is. I'm all for reaching out to anyone who wants to know Christ but that does not include compromising what the scriptures say in order to keep from hurting someone's feelings or make it more appealing.

12. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

That's why I'm curious to know what their principles of faith are.

13. fl0at_

I think you are confusing philosphy with practice.

I'm all for limiting churches to strict interpretation of all scripture; we could use far far fewer churches.

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

how's it any of your business what a church you don't belong to does and believes? As float says, certainly many churches have differences of opinions on how rigid to view the scriptures.

15. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

I don't think he talked about what other folks worship, believe or how they set their rules. Sounds like he's defining what works for him and his church relative to his views, which is how it should be.

16. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

It's my business because I'm a Christian and read/follow the same scriptures they do. I understand that hermeneutics will lead to various opinions but if the Bible condemns something and labels it a sin then there's little room for misinterpretation. As the pastor of a Church, I'm assuming she's more than familiar and aware with the topic and what the Bible has to say about it. How/why she chooses to dismiss it I have no idea which is why I keep saying I'm curious to know what their principles of faith are. The reason I care is that it rubs me the wrong way if people are unknowingly being taught something that goes against the God they are seeking has said.

17. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Jesus says nothing about it. There's plenty of stuff in the old testament that I guarantee you you don't follow.

18. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

I am no longer a religious person and have not attended church services of any kind for several years, so obviously nowhere near a person with knowledge on the topic. That said, I know several gay peeople who identify as Christian and attend services regularly. Through conversations with them I understand that some churches do not consider homosexuality sinful at all - at least not by being gay or in a committed relationship. Apparently there are those who do not feel the bible explicitly condems people for being gay, not does it speak specifically to consenting committed same-sex relationships. I am not arguing either way, but found it interesting that the biblical references to homosexuality are not as cut and dry as they might appear - at least to some.

As I've mentioned before the inability to reconcile scripture with homosexuality was the primary factor in my initial separation from religion. I tend to believe that the bible does condemn all homosexuality is sinful, regardless of where it originated or what it is.

ETA - I know some of the disconnect with NT references have to do with the original Greek, and that there really was no words like 'homosexual' back then. The condemned behavior may have been more around non-consensual same-sex activity/pedastry which was common in some areas at that time. Again, just what I've gathered through conversation.

Last edited: May 12, 2014
  19. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

Jesus was God in the flesh. As such, he did have something to say about it. I'll let you research why Christians don't follow OT ceremonial and civil laws.

20. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

he didn't read the posts where we've tried to explain it before