It's Happening Again.

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by hatvol96, May 25, 2013.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

and he got hired again by whom exactly? the point being is that there are plenty of sons of guys much more important than monte kiffin who haven't sniffed head coaching jobs. so to argue he got the job because of dad seems a bit ridiculous. in particular, given we are talking about being the son of a guy who never was a head coach himself.

2. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Agreed.

3. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I think most people get it was at lower-level and he wasn't dominating the SEC or anything. What is kind of insane about the nature of the beast is if he gets to the Sugar last year, how is perception changed about him.

Also - re Colorado/Kentucky, there is part of me that wonders if he wasn't interviewing just to interview or wouldn't commit long term at either place. I'm not making excuses or justifying why we hired him and they didn't, just thinking out loud.

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i'm not sure winning the big east would mean much for people. i wouldn't think colorado would be a step up from cinci, but we know he interviewed there.

5. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Maybe not, but I think building Colorado back up to respectability would do wonders for your career.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

And, no offense to Cincinnati, but I would much rather live in a place like Boulder, Colorado

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i'm sure it would, but when you have a program that reportably wouldn't pay for bottled water for the weight room, i think you have a pretty uphill battle.

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

When a conference championship results in squeaking by Duke or Vandy in the Belk or Liberty Bowl, they don't mean shit.

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

agreed and the pac-12 is certainly a move up. I guess it depends on what is important. macintyre wasn't exactly highly sought after, as an example.

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

MacIntyre is a Cutcliffe disciple with a lot of NFL experience. I think he's a good coach that would have eventually landed somewhere bigger than Colorado if he had waited a few more years.

11. limpleg

limpleg He gone. No, really.

That's your opinion. Its my opinion that he isn't one of the youngest HC's in college football history if his dad isn't Monte, and I don't think that notion is ridiculous at all, especially since Monte was part of his UT and USC deals.

12. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

But wasn't part of his NFL deal. So, not really. And according to Monte, he wasn't part of the package with all of the schools that Lane looked into that year.

13. limpleg

limpleg He gone. No, really.

And Al Davis called him the biggest liar he had ever met. Again, if you think kiffin made it to hc of the Raiders all on his own merit, more power to you. Most people realize he wasn't ready and wouldn't be a hc yet without Monte. I can't believe its debatable, really.

14. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

You tied his head coaching opportunities to Monte being attached as his defensive coordinator. That clearly wasn't the only reason he was getting looks. That isn't debatable.

15. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I'm also loving how quick Kiffin gets dispatched as a head coach despite actually having some success, but Dooley got a hell of a lot more than the benefit of the doubt long after he'd proven he was an incompetent sack of garbage.

16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i'm not a big believer in macintyre. he's a supposed defensive guru and his defenses were mediocre at san jose state. he raided the JC ranks (bay area has great JCs) which wont help him in a major conference and he had a future nfl qb last year and offense wasn't his thing. i know this is off topic.

17. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

sarkisian isn't materially older and they both had similar jobs at usc and both got head coaching jobs. his dad isn't famous coach.

18. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

I would take Lane back with arms wide open after he gets canned this year.

Huge fan of the parable of the prodical son.

19. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Getting your start is the hardest part in coaching. It helps if you have some in, but this isn't something unique to football or Kiffin. Once you've made it and winning, no one gives a shit where you came from or your history.

20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

that's my belief as well. i think it certainly helped him rise up the ranks more quickly (for instance monte knew pete carroll), but that's it.