Jeb Bush

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Oct 27, 2014.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

ideally you are running a deficit during bad times and running a surplus during good times.

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

That almost never happens, though. The two major surplus eras were the Roaring 20's and the Dot-com 90's. Other than that, most years were deficits.

That said, I am all for cutting our military spending in half, restructuring social security to promote later retirement (it is currently untenable but no politician will go within a thousand miles of it), etc, etc. Just not sure it is possible. I think it will take us being 2 months away from insolvency (not saying we are not there now, it just doesn't seem that way) for anyone to act.

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

of course it never happens because invariably when times are good we spend the surplus and then no one wants to cut it when times are bad.

no choice but to raise the retirement age. they'll just do it to people under 50. people who don't really vote anyway

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

A lot of coaches do

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

I was just saying there is some common ground where things could get done. We haven't had a functioning congress in 4 years.

6. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

congress is no more a problem than the presidency, which has become totally about theatre, spin and polls.

7. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Cronyism and using the public purse for personal gain has became rampant. Everyone wants to cut the waste but besides their pet project.

You got whole agencies that are self serving.