Jeb Bush

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

It seems more likely that he'll run, than not.

Depending upon how nasty the primaries may get, could he have a chance to beat Hillary?

I think he could.

Discuss.

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I just don't see someone named "Bush" getting elected. Again.

I don't know the guy's policies, his character or his track record. But I cannot imagine America clicking on "Bush" again.

3. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

He actually seems like a really good candidate, but his last name would really hurt him.

4. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

GOP establishment is really pushing him. A Jeb/Hilary election would be...........interesting.

I honestly think he would be a very good President.

5. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Just no more professional politicians - ever. Get a job and hold a job as a pre-requisite.

I want resumes henceforth. Screw a professional fundraiser and BS spouter.

6. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Jeb is much more articulate than W. More moderate on a lot of things. He'll probably get hammered by the racist fringe for being weak on immigration. He may also get hammered in commercials for introducing the stand-your-ground law in Florida: Trayvon Martin etc.

Unfortunately, I don't see him as a deficit hawk.

7. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

He's actually a better prospect for president than his brother ever was and the Bush family generally thought he would be the one, not his brother. So, it's ironic that his brother will be a huge drag on his potential candidacy. Hillary doesn't have that legacy because Bubba is remembered pretty fondly by many Americans now (also interesting since he was subjected to some pretty severe partisan opposition), although I remain convinced that Hillary sees her candidacy as more of an obligation to get a woman in the Oval Office rather than her real desire to be president.

8. snoball5278

snoball5278 Contributor

well said.

9. Unimane

Depending on your definition of "job", most of them did hold one outside of politics. Obama did, Bush the Son did, Clinton did, Bush the Daddy did, Reagan did, etc. I suppose you mean a guy with experience in business? A non-LBJ kind of guy?

10. Unimane

Also, as it stands, I don't think 2016 has a lot of great, electric, excitement-inducing candidates, so I think a few people could win that normally would not get the job, Republican or Democrat.

11. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Chris Christie is extremely electric. Hillary Clinton wants badly to be President.

12. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

And you know Willy wants to be the First Dude.

13. Low Country Vol

Low Country Vol Contributor

14. Low Country Vol

Low Country Vol Contributor

Jeb will get 0% of the black vote and other sympathizers. PACs will hammer daily Trayvon Martin to the masses as he was responsible for the Stand Your Ground law in Florida going into effect.

15. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Obama did? that's funny as hell. I'm talking about in a business with P&L responsibility and tax paying. Obama's resume is flimsier than W's, which was laughable. Bush the daddy and Reagan had jobs. If they've been campaigners and political hacks, screw em.

16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Jeb comes off dumb too. No thanks. Too much baggage with the name.

17. Unimane

I'm not surprised that a business person wants a business guy running the show. I'm not convinced that a business guy is a necessary criteria, nor that the business world operates necessarily in a world that translates well to the job of president.

Otherwise, Obama was definitely a professor and a lawyer, for a period of time, no less flimsy than Reagan's job as an actor. Daddy Bush built a business, but Clinton had a pretty limited time as a professor before becoming a full time politico, so results can vary.

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Reagan was the head of the screen actors guild. hardly just an actor.

19. Unimane

Christie is an interesting guy, but I don't think in the same way that excited people about Reagan, Clinton or Obama. Hillary had the nomination in 2008 and fiddled around until she got beat by a far more dynamic campaign, showing a lot of indifference until it looked as if she was in trouble. She doesn't strike me much as someone who is ready to go all out for the White House.

20. Unimane

So the next president should be the guy from the "White Shadow"? Past presidents include Ed Asner, Melissa Gilbert, Patty Duke, among others. I'm not overly impressed by this qualification, nor by the fact that his greatest accomplishment for SAG was being a snitch for HUAC.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014