Kentucky

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by MaconVol, Oct 23, 2022.

1. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

He and Golesh made Hooker who he is. Look at the Va Tech stuff as proof. Hooker pre and post Heupel is the #1 reason to think we might just enter into dynasty mode.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2022
  2. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Some players look better in practice. Physically, Milton has a better build so not terribly surprising Heupel would have gone with him if there wasn't a big separation between the two in practice. The important thing is Heupel wasn't too full of himself to not make the change. No coach is perfect, you have to adapt and that's what Heupel has done well so far. This year we're able to slow drives down when necessary instead of running full speed all the time like last year. That's the thing that has be the most upbeat in all of this, Heupel isn't a one trick pony forcing everything into a single box.

Memtownvol, MaconVol and NorrisAlan like this.
  3. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Milton couldn’t hit water falling out of a boat. How many of those Hyatt TD bombs this year does Milton lay in there perfectly like Hooker? Doesn’t matter if you can throw it 80 yards if you can’t consistently and accurately hit your target

4. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

the backstory is good to know. For similar reasons Hooker couldn’t climb the ranks at VT, Hooker was overthinking and too mechanical in practice. I don’t know if you recall the first spring game with him, but not a soul thought he would ever be more than 2nd string really from the way he looked.
    Then coaches saw him play basketball and were like wtf Hendon, why don’t you play that free on the football field. He looked like a different person and athlete, so they worked on how to translate the feel he had on the court to the field and it’s worked.

Memtownvol and warhammer like this.
  5. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

And look at Milton's games against garbage teams last year. They were shit.

He may still suck, but Heupel seems to be a QB whisperer and I want to hope that Milton has been transformed.

But enough looking ahead! This is like planning your next vacation while on your current vacation.

6. Ssmiff

We will see good qb play but we will look back on Hooker and realized we were pretty spoiled.

TennTradition and VOLinDAWGland like this.
  7. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I already am.

"Only 24 points in the first half? WTF??"

8. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

He’s pretty good when he’s going downhill

9. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I had no clue about this until very recently.

10. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

11. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

justingroves likes this.
  12. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

True, but in limited opportunities against inferior opponents he's been much more accurate on the deeps and shown better touch on the short to mids. Hope.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  13. VOLinDAWGland

Yea he's a special player at a special time. It's a [uck fay]ing awesome story and many times in life the best story prevails.

14. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

I’m just not convinced you can really teach “gameday accuracy”. You either have “it” when the lights come on, or you don’t. He looked like total crap against UTM. The idea of him being the unquestioned starter next year gives me anxiety. Being accurate in practice is a whole different animal. I hope Milton wins the Heisman next year, but unfortunately I don’t think he can make play at a high level. We’ve seen it both here and at Michigan the past 4 years: he simply can’t hit his targets consistently enough. Single handily cost us the Pitt game last year.

15. VOLinDAWGland

I choose to worry about it next year.

16. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

Maybe so far. But he has looked improved this year…limited action. But 3rd year in with his physical attributes, who knows what he could do! He at least stuck around and has been very positive about it. I hope he’s the story of 2023

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

Can you imagine being 8-0 with everything still on the table, but thinking about next year? Weird reflex from old wounds. I am living in this moment.

18. Ssmiff

next year came up when someone mentioned better at every position next year. Nobody appears “worried”.

19. DownNDirty

DownNDirty Contributor

I'm not looking ahead for one freaking minute this year. Just enjoy this ride. But I will say this - what stud QB that's not happy at his current school wouldn't give UT the highest consideration if they hit the portal after this year? I'm not worried because there's a decent chance we land a very good QB in the portal. Not saying they could replace what Hooker has brought with his magical year - but I'm not exactly worried about next year either because who wouldn't want to play in this offense?

20. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

True. We can start quibbling over next year after the Jostens people finish sizing up the fingers of everyone in that facility. Ridiculous after all these long, dreadful years to not bask in the moment enjoying the scenery.