Larry Scott Hired

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Volsfan31, Jan 4, 2016.

1. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Sweet. Way to get a quality guy at the position least likely to make an impact on this offense.

2. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

fullbacks

3. Volsfan31

Volsfan31 Member

Brice said Debord would be working with QB's. He also said Jones is well aware he needs to upgrade his staff to get to the next level, so maybe we make more changes?

4. knoxvol

knoxvol Contributor

Wow. A solid resume and outside of the "B#tch tree." Someone pinch me.

5. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

6. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

Yeah, I thought Sheridan was a lock based on Butch's track record of preferring comfort level to quality level. If he's smart (haha) he'd let Mahoney go, put DeBord over the o-line and get a QB coach.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Hurff durff Tom Brady hurff hurff durrrfffffff

8. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Great hire!

9. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

Don't those 2 statements contradict one another? Only way to keep Debord and it make sense is for him to coach OL and get rid of Mahoney

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I've been his biggest critic, but he is doing what he can to improve the staff this off season. I believe the pressure he felt going in to the UGA game got him on his feet. He's still being hamstrung by Dimestore Dave

11. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

If he has Debord coaching QBs, he's not doing shit to upgrade shit

12. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

I don't disagree, but it doesn't make sense that Debord would work with QBs. Does this mean we're not hiring a QB coach? I'd rather them allow Debord to work with OL, ax Mahoney, ax Z and bring in a QB coach and WR coach.

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He's trying not to. If you can't hire a coach because you're only getting $500,000 and two year contracts while every other big time school is offering $600,000 and 3 years, you're stuck.

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Give it a few weeks to see how it plays out. He may be as cut throat with assistants as he is recruits

15. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Or this will only push him to leave faster. If he's truly trying to upgrade and we won't give him the means, I can't blame him for that.

16. TangoUniform

TangoUniform Contributor

couldn't lyle just re-appropriate, say, $500,000 of his own salary to the staff?
    (didn't kiffin do that when he was here?)

just how ****ing bad does lyle want to coach Tennessee? ... how bad does he want to assemble the "BSIA"??

Would it be worth taking a $1 million pay cut to increase the salaries of the most important 6 or 7 assistant positions? Surely DeBord doesn't require more money since Lyle did him a solid in hiring him in the first place...

Am I totally off base with this line of thinking?

17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Coaches have left for less

18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Kiffin did take less to get his assistants more.

You can't flaunt season ticket sales and increased revenues then tell your head coach he can't spend more on assistants without taking a paycut, though.

19. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I can only hope. Then Diamond Dumbass Hart gets kicked to the curb.

20. TangoUniform

TangoUniform Contributor

good point.