Larry Scott Hired

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Volsfan31, Jan 4, 2016.

1. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

At least this time we hired a guy that's actually coaching football instead of a guy that had spent the last few years napping in Ann Arbor. #progress

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

It's the tennessee way.

3. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

Not paying assistants just depresses me.

What a quick way to indicate to your fans that you don't want to be an elite program.

4. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Someone told me Tennessee fans
    are dumb.

5. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Exactly. Who gives a crap if Botch and DeBord are still here and we have awful or no QB coaching.

6. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

Dime Store Dave just blew a million dollars settling a legal case that was weak to begin with, but yet he can't spend a little extra scratch to get better coaches. Sounds right.

7. knoxvol

knoxvol Contributor

As a Tennessee fan, I can attest to this. I am dumb.

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Yeah. People will point to that when someone asks why they couldn't afford better coordinators

9. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

He has not gotten a raise approved or an extension, wonder why?

10. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Eh, I'm ok with the settlement. Sometimes it's cheaper to pay people to just go away, regardless of how weak their case is.

11. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

Well, why doesn't Butch show some resiliency and tell Hart to give him more or he takes it to the people. This all gets back into Tenny's UTAD conspiracy theory, but this is why we can't take big steps forward quickly. If I am Butch (hard to say), I pull a Tommy West and just tell everyone the truth. Screw this.

12. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

My first thought is that if you do this, you might scare assistants away from working under such an AD. But that might be counteracted by the message of a HC who's willing to go to bat for you.

13. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I agree with you in theory, but Tommy West also did that going out the door and has been nothing but a position coach/coordinator at various CUSA schools since then. Not sure a coach that is still relatively young, so to speak, is smart to do that.

I don't think it's a conspiracy theory, I think it's just a bunch of old school people who care more about stuffing the coffers than they do winning. Building new residence halls, practice facilities, stadium renovations, etc. ain't cheap. Heaven forbid they make a move that might actually boost the top line.

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I don't understand how anyone can look at Alabama or Ohio State or Florida paying Spurrier and say "those were bad investments".

Now, I don't think Butch is that level of coach by any means, but winning a lot of football games means you make a lot of money. Invest in your cash cow.