Les Miles: Underachiever?

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Tenacious D, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I've been thinking about this since they got shellacked by MSU on Saturday....is there another high-profile coach, at a powerhouse school, who has done less with more, than Miles?

Am I mistaken in believing that there isn't another coach within those parameters who has done less with so much, than the Mad Hatter?

The guy gets like Top 3-5 classes each year. He's the only school in a stud-state for recruiting. He's largely viewed - and certainly paid - like one of the top 3-5 coaches in the game.

He even has an ex-NFL head coach as his o-coordinator, and athletes a-plenty....but their offense has been a dumpster fire for as long as I can remember. Hell, he even has a NC-winning D-coordinator (it's true, our objections to him, aside).

Before being hired at LSU, the guy had been a HC for four seasons at Okie St., where his best season was 9-4. He left Stillwater with an underwhelming resume of an overall record of 28-21 and 16-16 in conference (Big 12).

In his ten years at LSU:

He's one a single NC ('07)but admittedly, even that was almost entirely with holdovers from Saban's tenure.

He's won 2 SEC titles ('07 & '11).

His overall HC record at LSU is 98-25, and 52-21 in conference (SEC) play.

His bowl record is a paltry 6-3.

His overall HC record is 126-46.

What am I missing here, about the "great" Les Miles?

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I am not sure I would call 6-3 a paltry bowl record, especially when you are playing almost exclusively in top-tier bowls.

He is also playing in the toughest division in perhaps the history of College Football.

That said, I think he is a bit too wonky at times to ever consistently win. And he is now hitting that 10 year wall at LSU and it will be time for him to move on soon.

I don't think he has underachieved, simply because of when and where his LSU teams have played in the last 10 years.

3. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

Everyone in the SEC-W has underachieved since Saban came along. Hell, the 2011 season was no fluke for Miles. He beat Alabama, Oregon, a very good Arkansas team, and West Virginia. That wasn't luck. My knock on him is how unprepared the Tigers looked in the NC rematch against bammer. He hasn't had a losing season since his first season at Ok St.

His recruiting classes are good but not consistent 3-5 good. LSU jumps around from 1 through 17 in various years since Miles took over. Saban gets all this credit for setting the table for Miles but no one mentions how Miles set the table for Van Gundy. Does anyone think Van Gundy has what it takes to resurrect a program. Hell no. Miles had it set up there when VG took over.

He's gonna always be in the shadow of Saban but so are the other 122 (or however many programs there are) programs in the country. Is he one of CFB's top 10 coaches ... hell no. Is he a good coach that can win a lot of games and maintain an elite level of talent on a team? Sure he is.

4. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

He at least has two NC appearances with one win. Mark Richt can't claim that. Richt hasn't won a conference title since 2005.

5. syndicate

syndicate Well-Known Member

Mark Richt is ahead of Miles on the underachiever list. 2-4 in SEC Championship game and no Natty's.

6. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I'm not sure Les Miles can be analyzed with conventional methods.

7. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

[​IMG]

8. syndicate

I'm sure there is a formula involving a corn dog to grass smoothie ratio floating around somewhere.

9. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

The NC season was probably the biggest load of crap in college football history. Nobody deserved to win it all that year. Just a terrible year for the sport.

10. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

Imagine if tOSU won

11. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Should have just given it to Boise State and then told them they could never compete for another.

12. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

*Slowly nodding head*

13. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

He has underachieved at LSU.

But with that said, he's an overachiever.

14. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

An overachiever simultaneously underachieving. Les Miles, kids.

15. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

That's an interesting idea, would you take the deal?

16. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Yes.

17. syndicate

Boise would've been stupid to not take that deal and run with it.

18. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

He's not as bad as Richt -- or even close -- but you could argue he's left a few wins on the table. The BCS championship he won was in a 2-loss year.

But I disagree on the bowl record.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

How is this thread not about Richt?

20. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Recruiting rankings are dependent on the size of the class. Look at the average stars he pulls in. He's playing with some of the best talent in the country every year.