Les Miles: Underachiever?

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Tenacious D, Sep 24, 2014.

1. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Because I didn't start it?

2. syndicate

syndicate Well-Known Member

Since Les Miles underachieves at being an underachiever, does that make him the ultimate underachiever?

3. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

And thus an overachiever, invalidating him from being the ultimate underachiever.

4. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

I'm not a Les Miles apologist by any means so don't take me for arguing in his defense. What I didn't say in my post is he is one of the worst tacticians in the game, IMO. He has no end-game clock management skills at all and that has cost him in several of his losses.

5. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

:popcorn:

6. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I doubt you will run out of popcorn on this. I imagine everyone on this site will agree that Fulmer underachieved, and underachieved greatly. The SEC was no where near as deep as it is now and he still only managed two SEC championships with NFL players falling out of the bus because we had so many.

7. Low Country Vol

Low Country Vol Contributor

Mile is one of the poorest game managers of the two minute drill:

1) Miles instructed Jordan Jefferson to spike the ball with 1 second left against Ole Miss. He asked the cop if he had a timeout after the clock expired. They lose
    2) Against UT, Jefferson kept the ball on an option on second-and-goal from the 1 yard line needing a td to win. There were 28 seconds still remaining. They did not snap the ball until 3 seconds left. There is no excuse for Miles to wait 25 seconds in a hurry up offense leaving enough time for a single play.

His love for Jordan Jefferson amazed me. Not putting Jarrett Lee in the Sugar Bowl even for a series or two after Jefferson shown he was completely inept was questionable. Lee did start a majority of the games that season.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
  8. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Because there's no debate with Richt.

9. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

What Richt has going for him is that he took the program up a notch from where it was prior. Miles hasn't done that.

10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

yes it should be noted that miles NC was with a difference coaches players. though I suppose you could say that about saban's first one at alabama and meyer.

11. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Probably also worth noting that he hasn't struggled to bring in top notch talent. Also, in my opinion, kind of got screwed out of the NC in 2012.

12. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

and Stoops in 2000, Tressel in 2002, and Coker in 2001 (although he was on the Butch Davis' staff so he probably recruited many of those players).

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

how many 5 stars are within 20 miles of his campus annually? has to be one of the easiest recruiting jobs in America. I hardly think he's terrible, but I bet he wouldn't win 10 games a year at Ole Miss or something.

14. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

How about FSU? or Miami?

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Saban cleaned house when he first got to Alabama.

He recruited Julio Jones, Mark Ingram, Mark Barron, Marcell Dareus, Dante Hightower, Barrett Jones, Dre Kirkpatrick, Marquis Maze, Courtney Upshaw and Terrence Cody. Those were all starters or major contributors to that national title team.

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Not as many as you would think.

There's probably more talent within 20 miles of Ole Miss's campus

17. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Miami's facilities are garbage and the administration has no commitment to winning. FSU has more talent in state, but not in it's immediate neighborhood. obviously texas is the other one that's easy to recruit to.

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

[​IMG]

19. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

I think it would be better to note that his NC team had losses to arkansas and kentucky

20. justingroves

justingroves supermod

So, with 2 million less people, the state of Mississippi has 5 more NFL players.