Looking at WVU

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by IP, Aug 13, 2018.

1. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

Last open weekend for a long while

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm wildly oscillating between whether we beat wvu or not. What I hate is that I can't shake the notion that this game will define the season's ceiling, and maybe even Pruitt's.

3. NEW COACH

NEW COACH Contributor

There’s only 2 position groups I think WVU is better than us, QB and WR.

How we handle their passing game will determine everything.

IP likes this.
  4. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Excuse me, throw game.

TDVol1989 likes this.
  5. IP

IP Super Moderator

No need to be gross.

6. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

[​IMG]

Volst53 likes this.
  7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Pruitt's ceiling will be how he handles the October stretch.

8. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

True, but the WVU game is sitting out there as a potential indicator for what might happen then. That's how I feel about it anyway.

IP likes this.
  9. IP

IP Super Moderator

It's like this: if we get boat raced by WVU, you can pencil in 6 losses, with a chance at more.

If we beat WVU, you can pencil in 6 wins, with a chance at more.

And have a major upset, which is a strong indicator of year 2 success historically.

10SEvols and VolDad like this.
  10. NorrisAlan

With 12 games played in total, really stepping out on a limb there IP!

kmf600 likes this.
  11. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm saying it will be hard to have a winning record if we don't get this one. Wvu is way more beatable than 4 to 6 of our other opponents

12. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I kind of go back and forth with how good of a barometer this game is. It sounds like 3 of our 4 best DBs might be freshman: Alontae Taylor, Flowers, and Bryce Thompson. Hard to expect them to be ready to go against a really good passing attack like WVU has in game 1. Then again, seems like WVU's defense is just awful. So defense looking bad may not mean too much for us, but our offense damn well better look decent.

justingroves likes this.
  13. IP

IP Super Moderator

If we can run at will, we win or keep it close and will have a great shot against the most of the sec east

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Yeah, Grier getting 300 yards and a few TDs are nearly a given every time WVU plays. I'm not too worried about that.

You damn sure need 200 yards rushing and being able to physically impose your will on that defense

10SEvols and IP like this.
  15. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

I want two TEs and a fullback on the field for 90% of our plays on O. Run the [uck fay]ing ball down their throat and make them like it.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

If we have 2 te's and a FB that we feel good about on the field at once, this is a good idea. They don't have the DL to match up to that.

17. NorrisAlan

It also speeds up the game and keeps their offense on the sidelines.

Damn, I am ready for the season to start.

18. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

I'm excited to see how DWA is involved. Ubben said today he could be an All-SEC TE.

IP likes this.
  19. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

it's really gonna be difficult for me to say WVU will be a barometer for anything. how we look in november vs how we look in september will be as meaningful as anything to me. maybe not even so much W-L although going 4-8 or something won't be encouraging

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think most teams are who they are by middle october.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018