"Milk Dud" Franklin Testy Exchange Nashville Radio (Audio)

Discussion in 'VOLuminous' started by Tenacious D, Apr 16, 2013.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Some quick background:
    Franklin sent out a tweet insinuating that anyone who didn't go to Vandy was "settling in life". While some speculated that this was in response to Nashville's Jalen Hurd (5* RB) committing to TN, Franklin denies that it was so intended, correctly pointing out that his tweet was made some 18 hours before "anything had happened" with Hurd's recruitment decision. Of course, this requires you to believe Franklin's unstated assumption that he had no foreknowledge of Hurd's decision prior to his public announcement, but I digress.

Here's the actual tweet:
    [​IMG]

During a later appearance (telephonic) on 104.5 The Zone in Nashville, Franklin was asked about his statement, claiming that someone was "settling in life" if they didn't attend Vandy, and cited an example of a student-athlete who actually chose Princeton, instead. It was a tough question, but a fair one......Franklin's response was, well, about on par with what you'd expect from him outside of a pep rally......petty, defensive, passive-aggressive, overly emotive, sophomoric, impish, self-immolated, etc. etc.

Here's a recounting of the relevant section (skip to the 6:30 mark of the interview for this, the rest is standard fare):

Host: Is someone really "settling in life" if they don't choose Vandy, the host asks?

Franklin never answers the question. And to Kuharsky's credit, he never backs down.

Franklin: If you look at the graduation rate, I think they speak for themselves. People can try to create this into a story. The graduation rates speak volumes when you look at what these schools are doing, other schools.

My concern about that whole thing is people came out, and it made stories, because people tried to say that tweet was in response to something that happened (the Jalen Hurd commitment). That tweet was sent out 18 hours before anything happened.

Host: OK, we'll grant you that it had nothing to do with that (the Hurd commitment). Is somebody settling in life if they decide to go somewhere other than Vanderbilt? The kid that went to Princeton, is he settling in life?

Franklin: (Laughs) You're (unintelligible...maybe "really interesting.") What I'm telling you is Vanderbilt is an unbelievable opportunity and if you look at graduation rates -- people should be ashamed of themselves when they look at graduation rates what's going on in this country. And Vanderbilt can give you an opportunity like very few places can. That's what I'm saying. You can put words -- you can say whatever you want. That's what I'm saying.

That's what we all try to do. We show the things that we can offer in comparison to other schools. We're going to sell those things.

For a lot of families, and for kids that are mature and are not going to make a decision based on the helmets or the size of the stadium or the weight room -- and those things are nice, but they're not going to get you a job 20, 30 years from now. That's what we're trying to educate kids and families on: Make a decision based on the big picture and not the shiny things that people get excited about in terms of weight room and size of stadiums and things like that. That's what our message is.

People can be confrontational and try to flip it into something else and try to make a story out of it when it's not, when all we're trying to do is sell all the positives that Vanderbilt has. That's what we've been doing from Day 1.

Host: I know it's going to sound like I'm determined to get the last word, but in your tweet you said "settling in life." That's not me trying to put words in your mouth, that's your tweet, correct?

Franklin: But you're -- relax, OK? I didn't realize I was coming on this show to get jumped and try to create problems --

Host: You weren't.

Franklin: Hold on a second, hold on a second. My tweet has been consistent with what I'm saying. I'm talking about graduation rates, I'm talking about what Vanderbilt can offer. All we've done since I've come to Vanderbilt is sell our product, and people are like offended by the fact that there's a coach that will fight and stand up for Vanderbilt. That's all I've done. That's all I've done since I've arrived here.

Host: I'm not offended by it at all. I'm impressed by your enthusiasm and energy. But I'll stick with my theme. I don't think it's settling if you go somewhere else.

Franklin: You've said it four times. You're exactly right. You've said it four times.

Other host chimes in: Coach, you want to get the details out on the spring game?

Franklin: Yeah, yeah -- and I appreciate you, I appreciate your professionalism. (Gives times of various events). It's going to be awesome. Really appreciate the opportunity to be on your show today. This has been great, and appreciate your professionalism.

Link (KNS Blog): James Franklin, in testy exchange on Nashville radio, doesn't back down from 'settling in life' comment | Evan's Eleven | GoVolsXtra.com

Link (AL Sports): Vandy's James Franklin has testy exchange over 'settling in life' comment in radio interview | al.com

Link to Audio (104.5 The Zone): 104-5 The Zone - Play Now

Oh, Milk Dud, you're adorable. Never change.

#AnchorDud

2. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

I can picture him doing the V with his hands in the host's face. He can dish it out but he certainly cannot take it.

3. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Kuharsky is an ass, but I don't really read anything to get feathers ruffled in his question. Anybody with any sense and an emotional development beyond 6th grade level answers that question by saying, "I think Vandy is the best place in the world, so anything else is settling. Let me tell you why Vandy is so great..."

4. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

If they are truly both asses than it's a Who's [penis] us bigger contest. Both lost.

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Kuharsky doesn't flinch or go easy on people. You'll answer what he asks

6. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

What a [penis].

Didn't have a slip of the tongue. Had a thought, picked up his phone, opened up twitter, typed it out and then hit "send"...plenty of opportunity to filter the idea before expressing it to the world. And then he doesn't have the balls to cowboy up and own his own damn words. Pathetic.

7. They all go to Peabody. They're letting any football player in now. They have guys who cannot properly type the English language on the Twitter platform. Vandy is every other NCAA program not named Stanford. They move 'em to the easy majors just like everyone else. Peabody.

8. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

This is true, and has been for decades, at least. It should be noted, however, that Peabody is the #1 rated college of education in the country by just about every measure, so I'm not sure funneling athletes through it is exactly the same as every other NCAA program not named Stanford.

My suspicion is that criteria for admission has slipped under Franklin but is still well ahead of the vast majority of public Universities.

9. syndicate

syndicate Well-Known Member

I find it odd that Franklin keeps mentioning graduation rates when talking about how great Vandy is, but he never mentions the academic quality. I'd be pushing that like crazy.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Where did the "milk dud" nickname come from?

11. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

Probably his bald head but I don't know for sure.

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I've never thought about, but his head really does look like a milk dud.

13. Tenacious D

I can't recall where I saw it, but I am not its progenitor.

Someone (Involnernable?) did a mock up of it somewhere.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

Wasn't knocking it, was just wondering it. I can't throw any stones, I think I was one of the first to diagnose our fan base as having "battered wife syndrome." It was funny at the time, but now I feel kind of bad about it.

15. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

I heard the exchange. Rather humorous.

Paul K. is a [Penis], but I enjoyed him holding his ground. Franklin wouldn't own what he said and tried to crawlfish somewhat. Looked rather foolish IMO.

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Paul holds his ground regardless of who he's going against. I respect that in a media guy.

17. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

What made it even funnier was how Butch Jones handled the same situation when asked about one of his tweets.

18. Tenacious D

That didn't make sense to me - just say, "Yes, not coming to Vanderbilt is somewhat settling, not only in football, but in life - given the many advantages which our students and graduates enjoy."

As the head coach of Vanderbilt, who in the hell is going to blame you for saying anything but that, when asked? You know who I would love to ask me about that comment - recruits. But by now backing off and acting like a child about it, he has the worst of all worlds, all of the criticism for having said it, he looks (even more) spineless, and he has now (essentially) recanted the statement, losing its effect.

As someone who is growing to despise him, I'm beginning to more and more enjoy those moments when he opens his mouth.

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He explained himself very well and also was able to pump Tennessee up even more while doing it.

20. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

He does that. I don't care for a lot of his stuff, but you know what your getting with him.