Most Americans Want to Outlaw Unsupervised Play for Kids

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Volst53, Aug 25, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Good grief.

3. Joseph Brant

Joseph Brant Airbrush Aficionado

Unbelievable, our society has become too paranoid of media created boogeymen to be able to enjoy life anymore.

4. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Stupid

5. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

My brother and I would ride our bikes for hours/miles when we were really young. My wife wouldn't even let our girls go in the back yard by themselves until recently. She still won't let them go in the pool by themselves. 8 and 10

6. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

We must be bad parents but my daughter (8) will stay in the pool half the day by herself. My 12 year old son wants to hunt by himself but I'm not comfortable with that yet. Not that he can't handle his firearm but he doesn't have a cell phone so if anything did happen I wouldn't know where to find him.

7. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

I feel that the six foot leash that I keep my son on provides him with adequate play space and should work well into his teens.

8. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

We'll let the boy play outside all he wants by himself. He was outside going 100mph at 9am Saturday. Just let us know if he goes over to out neighbors house behind us. We don't let them by the pool yet by themselves, because they are 4 and 2. Pretty sure that will change in a few years.

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I feel like it's different if you are in a rural rather than urban area.

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

What kind of hunting does he want to do?

11. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

He likes to rabbit hunt. He has a couple of beagles that he calls himself training but they're both crazy as a shithouse rat. All three of us are going to try duck hunting for the first time this year. They are pretty excited about that and so am I.

12. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Most dangerous game.

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I can see why you wouldn't want him rabbit hunting by himself. Those beagles could take him a long ways away. Rabbit hunting with beagles is great. I love going with good dogs. I haven't done it in a long time though.

Where are you going to try to duck hunt at?

14. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Some would say you're bad parents for 1. Letting a kid touch one of those nasty guns and 2. How do you have a 12 year old without a cell phone?

15. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

Sounds like people are either paranoid or too lazy to take their kids outside.

16. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

My dad wasn't a hunter ... we fished my whole life so I'm not very good at the details. These two beagles are more pets than hunting dogs. They sleep in his room with him and my wife spoils the shit out of them so I don't know if they'll ever be "hunting" dogs. I love to hear them run though when we take them out hunting. They work good as a pair but they don't do anything to benefit the hunter. They're running to kill instead of running the prey back to the hunter ... or that's what it seems like.

I have a friend who has a lease in Arkansas so he's invited us to go with him and his dad. They aren't going to hunt. They're excited about taking us on our first duck hunt so they're just going to guide and call for us.

17. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

Haha ... he's getting one for Christmas this year. That's the house rule. You don't get a cell phone until 7th grade. I'll not have an elementary student walking around with a phone. Not there's anything wrong with other folks doing that but it's not something that I wanted to do.

18. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

19. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

Next they'll vote for tracking chips.

20. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Be prepared to be hooked.