Most Inconsequential "Historic" Event Ever?

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by Unimane, May 20, 2018.

1. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I woke up yesterday to 8 of my tv channels dedicated to the royal wedding. Every time I check news sites these past few months, there was something headlined about this Markle woman or her dad or whatever. CNN has had this ad their headline for two [uck fay]ing days as some kind of historic event.

Fortunately, the good people of the 8th saw fit to not mention this overblown nonsense.

However, it did get me to thinking with all this publicity. Has there ever been such notice taken to an event of so little historic importance that was portrayed as being relevant? Here was a wedding of the guy who won't even be the king, sorry, figurehead king, for a system that perpetuates an archaic feudal state, symbolically. All to cater to some stupid Cinderella fantasy.

chavisut likes this.
  2. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I don't understand the infatuation with Britain.

chavisut likes this.
  3. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Isn’t he Third in line? Not inconceivable that he could be king. Still don’t care, however.

4. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I’m a big fan of Britain and British history.

It has a wealth of it, well documented, and easily accessible culturally (language being the primary factor but also from a context standpoint - I just get it more). When I visit, I love to dwell on historic sites and learn more.

Personally, I’m incredibly English by ancestry and I do a reasonable amount of genealogy. So, I have interest there.

I’m also intrigued by institutions. Whether that be a senator who has served for 40 years or a queen for 60, I find the unique perspective they gain on history from their chair (or throne) to be fascinating. I think that the monarchy as a concept is troubling in a whole lot of ways. But I also like the twists and turns of it’s history as an institution as well as it’s current state.

Just like I wat he’s the clips from Barbara Bush’s funeral and wanted to be able to name each face that passed by the camera that worked in those white houses, I also watched the wedding with my wife and told her who most of the minor or major royals were. I also appreciate the quirks of how the various royals approach their status. Like Princess Anne declining having her children given royal titles while Prince Andrew has two princesses.

When I visit England, it’s also fun to sit in the pub after a few rounds and let the conversation turn to the monarchy. The opinions on its worth, relevancy, or even appropriateness today are both widely varied and vigorously held.

Finally, as this wedding goes, I was fine watching the wedding with my wife. I like Harry. He seems like a very good guy - and one that would be fun to have some beers with. Happy to see him charting his own way. And, it’s interesting to see the monarchy constantly band and mold. What the queen couldn’t remotely see a way to for her sister 50-60 years ago, she has easily found a path to today. Not to mention that Meghan has a black mother. I’m not sure the monarchy will survive in its current form all that much longer - but yesterday is helpful to it if it’s going to. That’s the history.

The Dooz and gcbvol like this.
  5. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

Thermopylae

The Crusades

Martin Luther

D Day

6. TennTradition

He’s 5th in line. Charles. William. George. Charlotte. Louis. Harry.

TangoUniform likes this.
  7. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

This, but without the trips and possibly a bit less fervor.

8. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Oh right. Forgot about his nieces and nephews.

9. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Great post. It's one of our favorite places to visit as well. I did not get up early to watch the wedding live, but did enjoy the coverage. Harry and Meghan are both quite likable so it made the whole thing a brief escape from the madness of the world.

10. Unimane

I can appreciate the sense of approaching this from an entertainment perspective, as the royals have become a more upscale version of the Kardashians, but the history angle is pretty remote, at best. And, it certainly didn't warrant the breathless coverage of all major news services around the world, knocking more relevant and important stories from our national consciousness and discussion, like the school shooting in Texas. No, the history is long gone from the royals, other than, maybe, the way in which they still pilfer money from the British tax payers to help establish their half a billion dollar fortune. The crown is vestige from an imperialist past in which classism and racism prevailed and a reminder as to why I'm happy we pointedly banned any possibility of such a system and titles within our own constitution.

So, I don't begrudge you for enjoying the show or your interest in the lineage and the royalty's past with its modern nuances, but I can't see the justification for its representation of some kind of important or relevant historical event other than some people buying into the Cinderella-like fairy tale nonsense. Markle, who seems like a nice person, as does her husband (Other than a few questionable racial remarks over the years), will now live the life of Swiss vacations, tabloid rumors and charity work, but the actual historical influence of her and any of her new in-laws is minimal.

11. TennTradition

There is historical significance of the future king’s grandchildren being part black. And his welcoming of both Meghan and her mother into their family. I think that’s a powerful thing - particularly for black families in the UK.

gcbvol likes this.
  12. Unimane

Because why? What difference does it make if they have black people or not in a family that has no real relevance anymore? Or that they are doing what British and American, etc., society has done, and accepted, for a number of years by now?

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

I see you.

14. gcbvol

It still means a lot to many, many British. What we Americans feel about the situation is much less relevant than is the British royal family—in Britain.

15. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Nope. William already has a gaggle of kids that would be next in line I believe.

I understand the infatuation with the royals, as many find it romantic (not courtship romantic but Romantic). But I don't think it deserves ten days of top page coverage either. But news outlets have to print what sells.

16. Unimane

So, what exactly changes within their society because of the introduction of a person of color to the family, especially someone who will never be queen anyway? What is the historical influence yesterday incurred upon British history?

17. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

It will make for a great Netflix series one day.

18. gcbvol

Who says it's society changing? My point is the British monarchy is a major part of Britain's history and is still around because the British people desire it to be. It's much more important to them than it is us and there's nothing wrong with that. One could argue this one is historic from a monarchical perspective due to the reasons posited by TT, but outside that I agree it isn't a huge deal.

I also agree the media coverage is overblown, but keep in mind we live in a connected world and many outlets serve an international audience.

19. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Do the people of Britain really desire for the power over a land to be handed down a bloodline?

20. gcbvol

The monarchy has very little true power; the British government has it. I did a quick search of polling and found 65% on the low side to 85% on the high favoring retention of the monarchy. If they didn't want it they'd do away with it.