Most Underrated UT Team

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Jun 3, 2015.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Because it's June 3 and not much else is going on and this forum needs to move some more.

89 is always the first team that pops in my mind.

What say ye?

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I know this is going to sound very weird, but the 0-6 1988 squad. They set the table for 89-onward.

3. CardinalVol

That is an odd selection.

Pretty sure the kid who runs out to get the tee on kickoffs went down to injury that year.

4. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

In recent history I'm gonna go w/ '85's team.

5. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

If you follow them closely, you don't really overrate/underrate much. At the time, I remember thinking teams like 1992, 1994, and 2000 were down years. Now I'd kill for some down years like those.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The 2006 team was a few plays away from being really special.

The Jamarcus Russell fumble they missed and the "roughing the passer" (by the way the rule is written, the call was correct, but it's a shit rule; a player's hand grazed the helmet of Leak on a Marvin Mitchell pick six) call against Florida were two that stick out.

The 2007 team made it to Atlanta, but that 2006 team was better.

7. CardinalVol

I still get pissed when i think about those calls.

8. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

Yep. We took the mid-late '90's for granted. Drunken on (short-lived) success

I chose '85 because though talented no one expected that level of success defeating Miami, ending a 13 yr hiatus of the Top 10 or braking a 16 yr drought to become SEC champs

9. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

The 85 Sugar Bowl win was the first game I watched the whole game with my dad. My dad told me with 100% confidence that we were going to beat the dog crap out of the Canes. I thought he was the smartest person in the world, until I became the smartest at about 15 years old.

10. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

See there you have it. If only he had acted. Vegas odds it would have been a sweet

11. Duckman

Duckman Chieftain

The '99 squad was almost just as talented as the '98 one and we somehow managed to lose to a sub-par Florida team and Arkansas that year. Both of those games should have been wins, although to be fair, Arkansas was running off of extra motivation from what went down in Knoxville a year prior.

We could have easily been back in the national title game had a couple of breaks gone our way.

12. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Throw 01' in there as well.

That 95' -01 stretch was very good and could have been great.

13. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

12' takes the blue ribbon for me.

14. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

93 and 94

15. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

That is a damn strong pick. Damn strong.

16. Duckman

Duckman Chieftain

Defense left a lot to be desired but still way more capable of winning more than only 5 games. It's ridiculous we lost 7 games with how potent of an offense we had that year. Putting up 40 points plus against Georgia and Missouri and still not winning was a travesty.

17. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

If the '03 team hadn't shit the bed against Clemson, they would have finished the season ranked in the top 4. I know the way they lost to Georgia probably takes some shine off the season.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2015
  18. Duckman

Duckman Chieftain

It depends on the context you're using the term "underrated." '02 was loaded and played below their ability all season long. '03 was super talented too and deserved a lot better than a Peach Bowl berth. '05 had no business losing more than a couple games, let alone 6. And '06 was literally, as Groves pointed out, a couple of plays away from having a really spectacular season.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2015
  19. CardinalVol

Underrated and underachieving are two totally different things.

20. Duckman

Duckman Chieftain

'12 underachieved yet they have been listed in this thread.