POLITICS My Facebook Feed

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by TennTradition, Jan 3, 2019.

1. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

They aren’t here legally. We can at least pretend that matters.

2. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Their children in many cases are here legally. Those children (some citizens, some DACA) having someone represent their interests in elections apparently matters more to these cities.

3. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Procreating does not excuse crime.

4. TennTradition

So children of someone who has been arrested for misdemeanor marijuana possession as a teenager shouldn’t be represented by their parent’s vote because their parent committed a crime? Let’s punish them all. Must be punished.

5. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Is said parent a citizen?

6. TennTradition

You’re more than welcome to vote no - that these folks shouldn’t have a vote in school elections - should you get the chance. The idea that they shouldn’t be able to vote isn’t a foreign concept and isn’t discriminatory. I’m not trying to say it is. But a majority of the voters in those locations, mainly in California, decided it was better to have the representation than to restrict representation of the kids in order to punish the parents. I would say many of those who voted yes would agree the parents were wrong to be here and that they aren’t pretending they did nothing wrong.

7. TennTradition

Irrelevant to the point of if you committed a crime you should be punished.

8. TennTradition

...per the above post

9. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Ok. I think this is the first time I’ve disagreed with California’s consensus.

10. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

The point is that they are here illegally and are therefore not entitled to the same privileges as those who are here legally. Adding kids to the mix doesn’t change the law. Yeah, it sucks when some kid is essentially down a parent because some idiot broke the law, but the presence of a kid shouldn’t be a get out of jail free card. And here, it shouldn’t allow someone to have a citizen’s voice.

11. TennTradition

So resident aliens who are non-citizens should also not be able to have a voice in their kids schools?

Or is the issue the crime?

But not all crimes - just ones that put them in the country illegally. Yet the children are citizens, the parents pay all local taxes, and the kids are still not represented in school elections.

Your position isn’t far-fetched.

I’m just arguing there are reasonable reasons why voters might disagree with that position.

To me this issue is infonitely more reasonable than an argument that we should allow as many illegal immigrants as want to come through.

12. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Does everyone realize that basically every noun in the Spanish language has a masculine and feminine form? The language essentially forces you to assign gender to everything. And of course, there are only two forms available. It’s a disgustingly, sexist and exclusive language. I think any Hispanic citizen legal or illegal should be deported immediately.

13. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Lord. Have. Mercy. They aren’t citizens. Just because they have kids doesn’t mean they get to pretend to be.

14. TennTradition

It’s literally choosing a school board. They could just as easily get all parents together at the school and having them raise hands to vote for candidates. Would you be as highly against the latter? If not, what’s the difference.

I could definitely make the case that it is much more reasonable to allow these parents (who have children in the schools and are paying the local taxes that support the school) to vote for the school board than it does for a 25 year old who has never had a job, lives with mom and dad, has never paid local taxes, and doesn’t have kids in the school. Yet as a citizen the argument would be they have every reason to be able to vote for the school board over that illegal alien. And that’s certainly a position one can take. But the outcome of that position is odd. I think that when viewed in this way, I could convince myself that they should be able to vote in school elections. Whether or not I would vote for that - even if I think it’s right - would depend on whether doing so makes it easier to illegally vote in other elections or if it is a slippery slope to demand other rights that aren’t as defensible.

15. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Yes. There are different ways to look at things. Agreed.

Tenacious D likes this.
  16. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

I agree, but if the other parents in the school district are for it, I’m alright with it for this one particular case.

17. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

This is a stupid point to be arguing with TT. By his logic, we should also let any human in the world also vote, as they deal with a host of their own US-based issues, and not just schools - trade, foreign policy, aide, etc.

Most simply - TennTra’s argument is without a single merit, and he’s stupid for asserting it.

They’re not citizens, and should not be allowed to vote, on anything, ever. Hard stop.

If they want to cast a ballot, they can do it in their country of origin. There is no argument to be had, here. Anyone who argues otherwise is willfully defying the law, and no reasonable response is possible. They - and he - don’t care about the law, borders, crime, or anything beyond those sweet, sweet illegal votes.

18. TennTradition

Haha....ok. You are such a baiter. I’m not going to respond to most of this junk, but to the issue at hand....

There are no constitutionally-derived rights tied to voting for a school board or director of schools. States set the laws governing their selection and if a city passes an ordinance that the state Supreme Court finds to be outside the state’s law then I’m sure they have the power to put a stop to it.

The idea that you must be a citizen (citizen, mind you, not even a legal resident) to select a school board, even if your fellow community thinks it shouldn’t matter, is ridiculous.

I suppose we better stop those non-citizens for voting in HOA elections. Illegal. Go back and vote for your HOA representation in Honduras.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

All this time I thought parenthood was a core human relationship. Apparently it is only valid if a citizen of the country you are in.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

You can't just assert it is against the law for a school board election to allow parents to vote regardless of status without backing it up. What law is being broken?