My List Assuming no Gruden

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Dec 1, 2012.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

1. Charlie Strong - He can recruit (let's face it, it's going to be a priority), coach defense, players seem to love him and he's a motivator, and between him and Cuonzo we'd have the biggest pair of badass coaches in the SEC.

2. David Shaw - I love how his teams have played the last two years, although recruiting would definitely be a wild card. I also don't know how he would do outside of the West Coast or if he would be interested at all. But I think he's worth a conversation.

3. Dave Doeren - A bit of a late-comer and fast riser on this list, but quickly growing on me after looking into him. Young guy, good defensive background, looks like he is a great coach overall, and is probably one point away from being a very sexy up-an-coming coach whose team is in a BCS bowl this year. One again, recruiting would be the biggest question.

4. Larry Fedora - I don't know why, but I just can't get as excited about him as others. I'd not be angry, but he just doesn't excite me as much as a lot of others.

5. Butch Davis - I'd this were 2008, he'd probably be #1 on this list. Right now a 61 year old coach just doesn't excite me that much. I just think we're talking about a 5 year filler here. I think we'd be a lot better, but I just can't get excited about him. This does assume he does have evidence the NCAA has deemed him innocent in the UNC shenanigans.

2. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I think Doeren will be the best option if he can get a staff with some good recruiting ties. He just strikes me as a football coach... no frills or gadgets, just coaches guys up.

His work at Kansas was impressive during their good stretch too.

I just want someone who worked their way from nothing to the top, doing it the right way.

3. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Looks like a pretty good list to me. I'm curious about what makes you put Doeren at the top of the group of hipster candidates (Doeren, Hazell, MacIntyre, Andersen). They all seem like they have a lot of potential, just kinda curious about what is particularly impressive about Doeren.

4. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

I've got one foot on the Strong bandwagon as well ... like him a lot. Also agree with Jo that Doeren would be a good football coach but I don't think he would get any time to turn things around. We had one coach from an FBS conference and it was a train wreck ... I don't think he would get a fair shake.

5. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

I'm the same way with Larry Fedora. I don't remember anything about his time at MTSU but don't remember Ron Zook's Florida teams being that good on offense when Fedora was OC. He did good things at Southern Miss but not sure UT is ready to go full fledged spread offense. I think after this season and seeing how UT couldn't stop anyone, I'm ready to see someone with a defensive background take over.

6. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Is Mullen off the table? Am I the only fool who believes he could win here? (Just because emainvol hates you doesn't mean you suck.)

7. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Strong. Guy really has turned Lville around in a hurry. Should be able to recruit here and hopefully rebuild some of the in-state stuff that Dooley destroyed. I think I'm willing to give anybody on that list a chance if hired though.

8. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

He's the kind of guy I could see come out of left field as the hire. I was shocked when Cuonzo Martin was hired so jit wouldn't surprise me if a name not being thrown around as much is the guy.

9. CardinalVol

He's 29-4.

Has more of the "look" that you just know when you see it.

He's 40, and I gravitate to younger coaches.

I like his background.

I'd rank the 4 hipsters as

1. Doeren
    2. MacIntyre
    3. Hazell
    4. Andersen

Honestly, I don't like Andersen much at all. He's done well, I dunno, just don't want him.

10. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

I honestly don't understand the appeal behind Fedora. What am I missing?

11. Jewbaccah

Jewbaccah New Member

Card I am loving where your head is but Shaw is a Stanford guy. Not realistic.

12. Snakeonia

Snakeonia Active Member

Mullen sucks [penis], still yet to beat anyone worth a shit

13. CardinalVol

I think Mullen is an above average to good coach, but his 4 conference wins this year were against the 4 teams that fired their coaches, and he pretty much got pounded the good teams on his schedule. I mean, other than the 2010 season, he's been fairly pedestrian as a head coach.

Plus, I really just don't think he wants to leave Starkville.

14. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Shaw and his dad are Stanford guys. The only place he might go is the NFL.

15. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

He's beaten a lot of teams with more talent than he has. He'd recruit a lot better at Tennessee.

16. CardinalVol

Yeah, I know he's the longest shot on that list because of that very reason, I was just hoping the thought of a huge raise might make him interested. It's at least worth a call to see.

17. Jewbaccah

Jewbaccah New Member

This is why you used to love me before you didn't

18. Snakeonia

Snakeonia Active Member

He also got beat by ole miss, struggled with a dooley led UT team, got smacked around by anyone who was worth a crap

19. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

I think the record, compared to the others, is purely a function of where the other programs were when they took over. But the other points are fair. I agree with your ordering except that I might slide MacIntyre ahead of Doeren.

20. Jewbaccah

Jewbaccah New Member

Why is Mullen being brought up he is not part of the discussion at all.