NCAA and NBA Agree to 2 Yr. Minimum for College Basketball

Discussion in 'Sports' started by kidbourbon, Apr 21, 2014.

1. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Agree completely. Also believe NBA teams should have the discipline to simply pass on Kwame Brown rather than needing to implement an unnecessary rule to save them from themselves.

Imagine LeBron in freaking Turkey averaging 45 a night. What a waste.

2. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

How many people can you honestly get a read on in HS games or workouts to see how their game would translate to the NBA?

3. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

So don't roll the dice on the high school kid if you're not comfortable with your evaluation. Let your competition gamble on him.

4. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Exactly.

5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

So? someone forcing people to draft the other dudes?

6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

2 years of lost wages can easily be multiple million dollars.

7. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Particularly when you consider the average length of career. When your playing career is less than 10 years, 2 years of lost wages is a pretty big deal.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

And if you are fair, you don't take the money made in the first two years off as the money lost. You take the money made in the last 2 years of someones career off when considering the cost. Because you took 2 years away from their brand development that is going to take money off of the back end.

9. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

Most lottery picks are role players, if they're lucky.

10. GahLee

I'm with JG, straight out of high school or three years.

11. GahLee

On and done is a joke, these kids enroll for basically one semester of classes, who knows they even have to attend and then leave. What purpose does it serve?

12. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

None. With two and done, the kids at least have to pass a few classes. So the whole "maturity" justification isn't a complete sham.

13. GahLee

It only makes both the NCAA and the NBA better. Kids get to develop against better competition and the NBA gets more than a 30 game sample size to evaluate.

There are players that have no business playing college ball but they are truly few and far between.

Although this will make parity a little harder to come by for the NCAA it will make for some compelling games in March.

14. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Agree

15. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Pretty much the way it goes with most professions. You usually have to invest time training a guy before he does anything for you. That's why folks that are "overqualified" can have a hard time getting a job. They'd probably be great, but the time and money investment to get them up to speed isn't worth it if the guy leaves after six months.

16. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I love how this shit happens. Regulatory policies are always sold on their merits to help the ones they really hurt.

17. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

you lost me here. Who's getting hurt besides a limited few players? This is the right move for the NBA and let's not pretend that the AA had any say in the matter.

18. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

The players. The NBA isn't going to come out and say its to protect them from making dumbass decisions, and the NCAA is going to hide behind the value of a degree while milking revenue from these players another year.

19. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

This is the point that would make me think this would be a bad thing for coaches like Cal who have made a living off the one and done's. Having to be in school for an additional year would force them to actually go to a class.

20. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

So are you against the salary cap, the draft, trade deadlines, etc? These all limit free markets. It is a closed system, with limited pool of talent to draw from and limited space to put that talent. I just don't think you can treat it like an open market.

If some 17 year old phenom comes out, every GM is going to fear for his life to not draft him because what happens if someone in your division gets him and he becomes the next LeBron James or Kobe Bryant? Of course, he is more likely to be the next Kwame Brown (if I remember his name correctly), but that doesn't keep the GMs from drafting him.

So they have to put checks against themselves, and I can understand it.

I personally think they should expand the draft and actually use the D-League like it should be used. Major League Baseball has that down pat. Just because you draft a guy doesn't mean he needs to start for your team next year. Draft that 17 year old in the 1st or 2nd round, throw him in the d-league for 1-3 years and see if he works out.

My 2 cents, anyway.