No Reservations.

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by hatvol96, Apr 23, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

Dang! I was going to do that at a tailgate this year! Thanks for busting my bubble!

2. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Dude seriously does have the best job in the entire world. He also travels in the best ways possible and actually sees what the country he visits is all about. My parents are the type that go to the big, stylish, all-inclusive resorts in Cancun or wherever and I've never understood it. There really is nothing better than finding the hole-in-the-wall restaurant or some other site where you are literally the only non-native person in the vicinity. It also makes for far better stories and deeper interaction with the people who live in the country than simply conversing with the bartender.

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

agreed. i'm not a tour group guy at all. even in major tourist traps like rome you can find that hole in the wall place with great food at a cheap price. when i was in thailand i literally ate like a king for less than $10 a meal.

4. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

Agree with this. I spent a couple months in Manila and ate fried chicken and rice at a hole in the wall, literally within the walls of Intramuros. Incredible experience.

5. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Eh. Can be a little dangerous to do it that way in some places. Also, if your parents are old, I'd say it's a lot easier and less stressful to just go to the areas designed for vacationers and go with the flow.

6. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Not as much as you think if you do a little research and some precautions. Besides, what's the point of visiting a place if you don't bother to actually visit it?

7. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

That's cool, but I've been a few places where literally no one spoke English and while the atmosphere was still enjoyable, there were some stressful times knowing I was pretty well boned if I needed help with directions or whatever.

8. O+W=H.

O+W=H. New Member

It's not like Bourdain is at these places just him and a cameraman...

9. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

This is an excellent point.

10. O+W=H.

O+W=H. New Member

Has Bourdain left Travel channel? His shows don't air anymore...

11. WM

WM Active Member

The final reason of NR is about to start up I believe so no.