Noisy Neighbors

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by utvol0427, Jun 3, 2015.

1. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

I live in a subdivision in Knox County (not within the city limits) and we have people that live behind us that like to play extremely loud music from their outdoor sound system. Half the time, there is no one outside, but it sounds like they are having a concert by their pool. The music is so loud, I can hear it in every room of my house, even with TVs and other things on.

The people don't really seem interested in turning the music down when I talked to them about it. This is our first summer in this house, but from talking to the other neighbors, this is a constant problem during the summer months. It goes on intermittently from about 10 in the morning until 9ish every evening.

So, do I have any options here?

2. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

3. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

A ladder to hop the fence and a sledge hammer seem viable.

4. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

.22 rifle with a balloon over the muzzle and take out the speakers.

5. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

And if that doesn't work, put one in your neighbor's ear hole

6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

check the neighborhood noise regulations. call the cops every time they are in violation.

7. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

Yeah, I'd just call the cops.

8. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Well, if you are going to get all legal about it. sheesh.

9. CardinalVol

That's not nearly as fun though.

10. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

11. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

I know you're kidding but this is really the only action you should consider if you're serious in ending that tomfoolery.

12. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

And it is as effective as a strongly worded Post-It note.

13. CardinalVol

On more than one occasion my wife has had to stop me from giving a neighbor's dog a bowl of antifreeze because it was bothering us so much.

My kids sleeping > neighbors dog barking until midnight

Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
  14. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Knox County Sheriff's Office, Non-Emergency Line: (865)215-2444

Once or twice they get a little rowdy and loud? Who gives a shit.

If it happens several times, talk to them about it.

What you're describing is a classic "willfully ignorant and uncaring *******" which no amount of patience or personal pleas for reason will likely solve. Simply, it's not that they don't realize that they're being annoying *******s, it's that they don't care. And, they already know that it's annoying you, so I don't see how your going over to talk to them will help do anything to rectify the problem, and in fact, may only make it worse.

Let the cops handle it is my $.02

15. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

I'd prefer to stick to solutions that don't have the potential to land me in jail. Talked to someone at the police department and they said there isn't a noise ordinance until 10 PM.

16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

you also don't want to make it obvious you are the one who called the cops. I had a similar situation in my old apt and calling the cops with regularity was the only thing that worked. I'm sure they had a suspicion that I called them, but at least I didn't get my car keyed.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
  17. CardinalVol

Can't make an omlet unless you break a few eggs.

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

google your city and noise ordinance. I know here that it's not just the time, it also covers "excessive and unnecessary" noise which this would fall under.

19. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Find their power source.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

Put up tin paneling along your back fence, flat and flush. It wont stop noise but will create an annoying echo that will be dissuading