Norris Lake

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, May 29, 2012.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

My random roommate my freshman year was from Ohio. I met quite a few Ohioans when I was in school too. Ohio and Virginia seemed to bring in a lot of students

2. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Ymm....Willie's buffalo chicken.

Hat - you will be shocked to learn that the Sleepy Hollow Inn has gone out of business and has been replaced by a joint called Kirby's. I drove by it about 6 or 8 times this weekend coming in and out of the in-laws'. It was packed every time, but the Sleepy took some local lore down with it.

Last edited: May 29, 2012
  3. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Slowly but surely, great local joints are dying out everywhere. It's sad to see.

4. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

I got in a cuss fight with Tracy Jones at Willie's.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

Nearly spewed beer at this.

6. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

I lived in Ohio for twelve years, returned to Tennessee. I was constantly encountering people from Tennessee, and I believe half the people there were originally from Kentucky. If Ohio didn't have so many Ohioans in it, it would be greatly improved.

7. tripper

tripper Member

I have a cabin on Cedar Creek, Sugar Hill Marina, and my next door neighbor is a Delta pilot from Cincinatti (cool dude though). Ton of Ohio MFs there. It's like Norris and Hilton Head were infiltrated with the bunch.

8. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

You don't know where to go. Norris is a helluva walleye lake.

9. JayVols

Oh, and Ohioans suck. They drive worse than Virginians.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

There are no shortage of fish in the lake, you just have to know the spots.

11. JayVols

Yep. A spot near Hwy 33 bridge just below New Tazewell is my spot. Limit out 70-75% of the time. Been a couple of years since I fished Norris as it is about an hour and a half drive one way for me.

12. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Norris has some really good fishing, but it can be a challenge at times with the heat and boat traffic.

13. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

If you are looking to catch panfish, Douglas Lake used to be good for crappie. There have been large ones caught in it. I saw one mounted in a bait shop that was a one time state record at somewhere around 3lbs 14 or 15oz. It didn't look that much like a crappie, wasn't that flat.

14. DownNDirty

DownNDirty Contributor

When I went to Florence Ky last year for the North/South 100 dirt race we ate at Skyline and White Castle both for the first time. Soooo wish both of them was around here - even if it's something I'd just eat once in a great while. I was telling my dad about the Skyline 5 way and he said that sounds awful. I said you'd just have to try it.

15. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

Is that anything like Diablo 5 way at Rosa's House of Joy in Juarez?

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

A lot of Union County folks fish up near the bridge. Apparently it is good for many.

17. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I'll sum up Skyline like this; everybody knows how I feel about Pal's. Well I feel the exact opposite about Skyline. That shit they serve is the worst [uck fay]ing 'food' I have ever had in my entire life. I liken it to a plate full of noodles topped with my butt piss after a long night of boozing. It takes a special individual to eat there.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

Butt piss?

19. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

And just what did you have up your butt?

20. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Not sure either but I gagged regardless.