Now the season begins

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by CardinalVol, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Don't do this silliness. Save it for Ssmiff to do it.

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I'm just not overly shocked that it happened, don't think it's the end of the world, and find a lot of humor in the pendulum swing.

Look awful tomorrow night, and I'll start to be concerned.

Ssmiff, chavisut and justingroves like this.
  3. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

You also didn’t really watch the game. There’s a viceral gut punch type of reaction that’s somewhat expected. PTSD.

4. Unimane

We have some flaws that are probably not going to be fixed and, hopefully, won't sink us. Having a ranking of #52 on defense is going to be an issue when we aren't hitting our shots, like on Saturday. And, while the story of the 3 stars gone big time is good, we don't necessarily have that NBA type player to ride when things get tough. Maybe Admiral or Bone, but the teams with size have seemed to bother us the past two years.

I think we win tomorrow, but Saturday is trouble, to me. That length and athleticism of LSU is exactly the sort of stuff we've had issues with.

5. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I definitely think we are going to struggle against top teams if we aren’t hitting our shots, especially if we are missing the open shots.

But I’m not sure there’s a team in the country to whom that statement doesn’t apply.

6. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

It's not really even tomorrow night for me, although I do expect them to look a lot better. The next 2 Saturdays will tell the tale. Can you go on the road and beat LSU and can you return a huge punch to UK at home, that's where we'll know where this is headed. And really, at this point, I care nothing about any game left on the schedule but Kentucky. I want us to pound them the next game.

7. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

Yeah, I mean if Turner and Bowden would have just hit 4 or 5 threes between them that game goes to the wire. Still may not win, but at least have a shot. They hit those shots last year and kept us close enough to have a chance to pull it out in the end and Turner nailed a big shot.

IP likes this.
  8. Unimane

Virginia couldn't hit anything at Duke and stayed in the game because of their defense. The point being, our defense is unreliable and puts pressure on our offense to produce at a high level in order to win games against good teams.

9. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

I kinda expect us to lose to Ole Miss and I don't even care. Beat LSU and beat Kentucky and I'll feel a lot better about this team. I'm pretty sure we're top ten, but we've had so few quality opponents so far (somehow we've only beaten one team that was ranked when we played them--that's insane) that it's hard to get a feel for whether this is a real title contender or just an Elite Eight team that's hoping to squeeze into a Final Four.

lylsmorr likes this.
  10. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

You bring enough silliness in the basketball forum for everybody, and trust me i know who the first one on here will be if/when Barnes/UT falters with reminders of shit youve said 1000 times,

11. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Down to 5th. UK jumped us.

Kind of blows my mind, with them having lost to a lower ranked team earlier in the week, but honestly, who cares? We will have the chance to take back our spot.

12. Tar Volon

You can justify it if you're looking at things like a power poll because they just crushed us, and you can justify it if you're looking at it as a strict resume poll, because they're 4-2 against the top 20 and we're 2-2. Kinda feel like us being 23-2 should mean more, but our schedule so far as been three marquee games and a bunch of crap, so we don't have that much to fall back on after a horrible performance. KenPom has dropped us all the way to 7th (KenPom loves both Michigan teams for some reason this year)

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

The Big 10 is a house of cards that prop each other up. Watch what happens in the tournament.

Jacha617 and Indy like this.
  14. Unimane

I'm always here. But, all the stuff I was concerned about came to the forefront on Saturday. The silliness was monitoring everyone's positivity levels and ignoring the glaring issues this team had.

15. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

You play who you play. We’ve taken care of business against lesser opponents, and they haven’t. They also have just as many blowout losses against top 5 competition as we do, and ours wasn’t on a neutral court.

Either way, I’m just thankful we have an opportunity for redemption. Just hope we take it.

16. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

If you had to name 3 reasons for why we lost Saturday (other than refs), what would those 3 reasons be?

17. Tar Volon

Sure, we'll see if we can get the redemption win. But with us having the same number of top 5 wins (and the same number of blowout losses), I think them beating UNC away (not to mention a crippled Kansas and a couple of the SEC's second-tier that we haven't played yet) is outweighing those two extra losses in a lot of people's eyes, and that's not totally unreasonable. We have a tough stretch of schedule coming up, and if we win five out of the next six (including home to UK), we rightfully should jump back ahead of them.

18. Unimane

1. Rebounding
    2. Post defense
    3. Failure to run our offense
    3a. Late in locating shooters.

#3 actually is an unusual problem, not one I expected. #1 pissed me off royally. Herro's play where he drove down the lane and got his own rebound twice had me screaming at the tv.

We are a good enough offensive club to overwhelm most opponents in the tournament. The defense must be good enough to stem the tide whenever we inevitably struggle offensively at certain points against the better teams.

reverendgeneral likes this.
  19. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

That Herro play was the game in a nutshell

20. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Nobody is doing that. 23-2. Lost to kansas and at Rupp. Shooters went cold. Didnt meet intensity level. Rebounding and defensive issues going back weeks. If our tallest player is a non factor and our 3 shooters go 1-17 from 3 at Ky coming off a loss, its going to be ugly and was.