Obama and Oil

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by kptvol, Feb 24, 2012.

1. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

I doubt it, there are other reasons automakers are moving to more efficient powerplants. Gas mileage is an important byproduct, but it's still a byproduct of all the R&D that's going into it. The boulder is already rolling down the hill with major manufacturers going down the hybrid or full electric path in their motorsport endeavors. Toyota and Nissan in particular have gone far enough to where hybrid/electric tech will never leave their lineup. GM has jumped in but they've been mediocre, Mitsubishi is staking their future on hybrid/electric. And that's just the major auto manufacturers.

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Until it's competitive cost wise with normal cars it will be nothing more than a nice side business for yuppies

3. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I remember when VCRs were $2,500 and as big as the TV too.

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

The cost of materials is the problem

5. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I don't see it being bad as it will help the poorest the most. I still don't think you'll see a big drop in food prices. Ethanol is going to keep those inflated.

6. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

And this little, very temporary, blip on the oil market will not adversely affect the development of new technologies.

7. NorrisAlan

Of all the idiotic things ever placed in front of the US population, ethanol fuel is the biggest of them all.

8. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Not in the long run, but it will slow it down now if this is sustained

9. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I'm curious what the new EPA regs on it will be. It should be took out back and.shot, but big ag likes it, so its here to stay

10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

technical traders are shorting the shit out of oil:

[​IMG]

any sort of spike and expect short covering to take the price back over 70 and could get back to 90 quick.

11. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

it's pretty far up there.

12. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

We make them in Mexico now.

13. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Once had a client who was going to make it out of switchgrass.

Other than take a 6 figure salary, get grants from the government, and plan their production facility, I never could figure out exactly what they did to achieve this goal.

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

one of my clients sons worked for an ethanol company. had no revenues and the stock went from $2 to $100 literally in the span of 9 months. I called him 3 times begging him to sell it and he refused telling me the executives were sure it was going to go higher. went bankrupt 18 months ago. guy lost like $20 mil.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

Without the subsidies corn enjoys, I don't think it will work. Not sure it wouldn't be about as bad as corn ethanol either if crop land is being converted to switch grass. It could be done, but it would have to be done right and we know that isn't how these things go. Folks will grow whatever pays the best, no matter how it harms others.

16. NorrisAlan

I bet he answers those letters from Ethiopia, too.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

Ah damn. If ever I were to have an investment go from 2 to 100 bucks a share, I'm hella selling. I'd sell my own crappy LLC.

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

it's hard to step outside sometimes. you work for the company, everyone there is a sunshine pumper, and you think it will never end. it's like bama fans thinking saban will win NCs forever. I also have multiple friends that never exercised hundreds of thousands of options during the dot com bubble because they thought it would never end.

19. NorrisAlan

I will never understand people that believe these sorts of things. Everything ends. I have seen baseball card fads, comic book fads, Thomas Kincaid fads, dot-com fads, housing market fads, etc come and go. I just don't understand the mentality of never ending growth, much less the lack of foresight to see that something is a complete house of cards (like all the above).

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

It always ends...