Obama and the African-American Vote

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by kptvol, May 14, 2012.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

What I'm saying is, some saw him as the first step to a new revolution for the Left and for the black community. That hasn't been the case. He is no longer that dawning of a new age type of figure.

2. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I see what you mean, but if your primary motivator for voting for a guy was his skin color, I think that motivation will stay steady for the reelection.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think it has "been done" now. 18-20 year old black kids grew up now with a black president. Folks have now SEEN a black president.

I could be totally wrong and the gay thing may be a huge factor in the black community, I'm just spit-balling here.

4. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Just the tip. Just for a second...to see how it feels.

5. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

It's certainly a big deal in the VOTING black community which generally means the church going community. I'm not sure if it's enough to actually get black people to not vote for obama though.

7. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Im not sure this particular issue will dig in with the majority.

I think if he loses voting blacks, it will be a combination of things.

8. Snakeonia

Snakeonia Active Member

yesterday i heard the most ridiculous thing. an african american who lives in alabama called into this show, he starts talking about how great the economy is. then he goes on to complain saying that "90% of the african americans in alabama vote conservative". i cldn't help but laugh at this guy

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

I don't know anything about Alabama specifically, but there are a lot of blacks that vote Republican in the rural South. Most of the democrat-voting populace tends to be white city dwellers.

10. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

My guesstimate would be 20-25% tops. Still a lot higher than Detroit maybe, but still not that high.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

Certainly not 90 %. But there is a stereotype that is overblown in the South concerning race and political allegiance.

12. CardinalVol

Agreed. I'd argue the vast majority just don't care.

But, at the end of the day, it's as simple as this.

Was the AA community cooling down in their Obama love? And if so, how much does this affect this, particularly in the swing states. And if it does, does this "change of heart" fire the GLBT community up enough to offset it enough?

I still think it was a calculated risk to fire up the social base of the party. By all indications support was somewhat fledgling with that group. I suppose the thought process was if you don't have the base, then what does it matter about other parts. The election is still going to come down to the economy IMO. I think everybody realizes that.

13. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

There's no way this wasn't a measured move even with Joe Biden's dumbass making politically taboo comments in an interview.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

Agreed. I don't think there are enough LGBT people to offset a major cooling off of the black vote, but it isn't like folks are walking across broken glass and hot coals for Romney either. Gonna come down to the economy. As it should, really.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

From what I understand, it was a measured move that was supposed to be unveiled a little later, but Biden's stupid ass forced the cat out of the bag a couple of weeks early.

No, it wasn't spontaneous. And it would be naive to say it wasn't politically calculated to some degree. But it isn't like it is somehow surprising or out of character for Obama to take a socially liberal position, either. It is just laying a card on the table that everyone knew was in his hand all along anyway.

16. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

I think the move had to go down now. You placate GBLT right after North Carolina, and still have enough time to let it blow over prior to debates. Debates don't win a lot of fringe voters, and having this in the back of the minds of those in the AA community by November is a good thing. Better now than later.

17. CardinalVol

In addition, if Romeny tries to make this anything more than a secondary issue, he's making a very big mistake IMO. I don't think he will, and I am doubly thankful Santorum is not the nominee.

18. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

I don't think his support for gay marriage will have any impact at all on his support from black voters. He could probably come out of the closet himself, and it wouldn't swing the black vote. He'll pull 90+ percent of the black vote, and this issue alone will have negligible affect on participation.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

If Santorum were the nominee, this same thing that is giving Romney a window would be slamming the door on Santorum. He'd beat himself over this.