Obama Strategy(?): Weed for Votes

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Jun 14, 2012.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

An interesting article on the (alleged / unconfirmed) Obama camp's intent to entice "values voters" to the polls this November with the lure of legalizing / further expanding the legalization and use of marijuana in what are believed to be states which are critical to his chances of re-election. Of course, and just as the article points out, this is little more than stealing a page from the GOP's playbook (which I presume to be printed on their unwanted $100 bills and inked with the blood of illegal immigrants) when they urged the inclusion of statewide gay marriage amendments / proposals onto the Presidential election-cycle ballot in 2004.

The article examples the following states, in some detail:

Also, don't overlook this interesting aside: According to the CDC, 2011 was the first year that marijuana smokers outnumbered cigarette smokers amongst America's youth.

Link: Is Legalizing Weed Obama's Secret Weapon? - Politics - The Atlantic Wire

2. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Good. I'm not a toker, but weed being illegal is a joke and needs to be corrected. Total waste of time, money and effort to police it.

3. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Obama hasn't been very marijuana friendly in his first term, even after promising to be so in his first election.

4. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Agreed. Though I might partake if it were legalized.

5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Pot smokers aren't exactly prone to going to the polls.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

They forget to go

7. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

They should offer refreshments like they do at many a vacation Bible school. I have never blazed (yeah, I know. I'm a prude), but the older I get, the more I agree with legalization. It's a high with less nastiness than alcohol from what I have gathered. Plus, the state and nation could use the tax revenue. It would also create a new cash crop for struggling farmers.

The older I get, the more 'liberal' I am getting. According to Churchill, it's supposed to be the other way around. I'm a curious oddity it seems.

8. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

but isn't that the point? If they do show, they'll be voting Obama?

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i have no problem with the legalization of most drugs.

10. NashVol11

NashVol11 Well-Known Member

Put out some free junk food and they will