Official National Signing Day Bunker

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by IP, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Do you think that Saban is worried about those 3 "NFL-caliber" WR's running open next year, after our running game is blown up, and he's up 21-0? How about Miles? Richt? Spurrier? Who exactly is worried about these three WR's? Outside of Lexington, Nashville, Oxford and maybe Starkville.....nobody is worried about them. And by "nobody" I mean, "no-DAMNED-body".

"Less of an embarrassment". 'Nuff said.

2. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Not bridging gap between us and Bama, but look at our class against LSUs or UGA's or USCjr's. It's comparable to the other top teams other than UF and Bama.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

We need it to be out of this world, given that we are living in a world where Kentucky beats us and we fail to make a bowl game.

4. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

When you look at average stars, you will quickly figure out that Lane Kiffin and Gang are recruiting superstars. Wow. Lane Kiffin doesn't whine about giving it his best. Lane Kiffin [uck fay]s the prom queen.

5. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Our talent is vastly superior to UK's, and now, offensively, it's as good or better than anyone's at the skill positions. That doesn't mean Dooley's going to win big, but absent losing santos and peters, im very happy with this class.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

When USC's sanctions completely roll off, they're going to explode.

7. kidbourbon

Not sure why you included Mark Richt and Steve Spurrier in there. They are charged with coaching teams that Tennessee might actually beat.

8. kidbourbon

Glaring problems with the recruiting class:

1) Not even a single offensive linemen?
    2) Obviously, LB.

9. Tenacious D

I trust that you know your stuff, Law (sincerely). Ask yourself these questions:

1. Watching this team last season, and looking ahead to next season - what areas of need did you believe were MOST glaring, and then tell me how well this class meets those needs. I'll trust whatever you believe.

2. If you look at all that we offered, and had a realistic shot at getting - do you think we landed who you would have most wanted, or not?

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

See, that's my point. We are talking beating UK right now. That should be a constant foregone conclusion unworthy of discussion outside of the last week of the season. I can't help but stare at the assholes of the big dogs in front of us, and feel like we are just hitched to the SEC sled in the back half of the line with the view never changing as we mush right on to Hell.

11. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Bridging the gap with the top of the conference is the goal, right? If we don't have a talent advantage against 10 of the 12 teams in our league, are we just going to use brilliant scheming and game day management to finish ahead of them?

12. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Actually, there's a shit ton of difference between us and vandy for example, unless you don't think 7 more four star prospects is much different.

13. Tenacious D

And what IF we DON'T find a competent RB?

Is it more likely that we do, or don't?

14. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Certainly don't see us out scheming a lot of people. I do think our offense now has the potential to be the most explosive in the SEC. That's bridging the gap. Combined with our young LBs young guys in the secondary and the guys we just brought in at DT, I'd say we now have defensive talent that stacks up to most of the top teams outside of Bama. So, yes, we're bridging the gap from a talent standpoint. Will that result in wins? We'll see.

15. kidbourbon

Can I take a stab at #1?

(a) D-line: This class adds size to the D-line that was desperately needed.
    (b) The need for a stud running back: not addressed. At all.
    (c) LB: not addressed. At all.
    (d) The need to get at least one or two offensive linement so as not to be put in a position next year or the year after where we have to go six deep in the recruiting class on offensive linemen: not addressed. At all.

16. Tenacious D

Name a single team that is listed behind us that shouldn't finish behind us in 99 of 100 years?

And the larger question: are we focused on staying slightly ahead of the dregs (i.e. KY, Vandy, et al), or in catching the elite ones ahead of us? If the former, it is an excellent class for our aim. If the latter, it sucks - as we didn't make up a single inch on any of those.

So, I guess it's your aim.

17. alumvol08

alumvol08 Active Member

I would give the class a B to B-. Obviously if we could have held onto the lbs it's much better overall. Hopefully Sal goes a long way in helping us meet that need next year. I think one thing that helps this class is that there won't be as many players that need to contribute immediately like last years class. It's not up there with Bama or Florida but its far from a shit class like some people are acting like.

18. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

As to #1, I'd say DT depth was a huge concern. We seem to have addressed that well with Sentimore, McCullers, and O'Brien. We definitely did not add more depth to LB. I thought we needed depth at WR, and on paper this looks like as good a WR haul as anyone in the country has had. We needed also to continue to add better talent in the secondary and have done that somewhat with McNeil and Bonner. It seems questionable taking no Offensive lineman, and I felt we didn't adequately fill our need at DE after losing Autry. All in all, I think we met most of our needs, but there are obviously some we did not fill.

19. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Right now we are all chasing bama. All of us. And im not sure any of us are going to catch them as long as saban is there.

Look, I don't think dooley is going to cut it long term, but we at least have sec capable talent in here now. Goal #1 needs to be catching up in the sec east, and imo we're holding our own there.

Next step is coaching them up. There is my concern.

20. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I will say that Borque appears to be a solid prospect at RB.