Paralysis sufferers regain feeling thanks to fetal stem cells

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Sep 3, 2012.

1. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Right, fertilized eggs. How did birth control come into this is what I'm wondering.

2. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I'm not cut and dry on all types of abortion, specifically rape, but my arguments go towards those who just don't want a baby after their poor choices and have an abortion.

3. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Rick Santorum did it.

4. JayVols

Again, what about IVF? Embryos are destroyed in the process.

I'm all for another way to do it that isn't controversial. I'm just not sure we could arrive at that without embryonic stem cell research, but I have no facts to base that on mind you.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
  5. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Honestly, I haven't read enough about IVF to have an opinion on it.

Translation: I don't know anything about it.

6. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Catholics

7. JayVols

8. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

This presumes that the decision to terminate is a moral choice. For the pro-life crowd, it is a moral choice. For the pro-choice crowd, it is not a moral choice. Morals is the idea that something is right or wrong, correct? And thus we strive to always do something "right" so as to be moral. If abortion was "right morals" then no babies would ever be born, because the "right" thing to do would be to terminate. If abortion is a "wrong moral," then striving to always be moral, we would never terminate, ever.

If you want to take it as a position of morals, how would you defend that it is morally right to do something morally wrong? It is a bit of contradiction.

9. JayVols

Getting deep up in here. Hurting my head.

10. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Okay, so one side once to enforce their morals, and the other side wants to enforce their meta-morals. Happy now?

11. fl0at_

Are you against killing in all forms; war, self-defense, the death penalty?

12. fl0at_

If it helps to put things in nice defined boxes, knock yourself out.

13. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Huh? I think of it terms of morally acceptable and unacceptable. Abortion is either permissible or impermissible.

14. JayVols

Then killing for any reason is either permissible or impermissible.

15. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Obviously the third option would be permissible in certain instances.

16. JayVols

So abortion isn't only permissible or impermissible either with a 3rd option?

Not starting crap, just saying it isn't black/white in a roundabout way.

17. fl0at_

Yes, and the premise for that thought requires that abortion is a moral issue. That is the only way it can either be morally acceptable or morally unacceptable. It must first be based in morals.

I don't see it as a moral issue, so I don't see it as based in morals, so I don't see it as either morally acceptable or morally unacceptable. There are actions that have nothing to do with morals. This is one of those actions.

18. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I think you guys are forgetting the enormous qualifier that prefaced all those arguments: "If you accept that the fetus is a life...".

19. fl0at_

I'll accept that a fetus is life. Doesn't matter.

20. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Then I would say in that case to allow the mother to choose abortion would be letting the mother enforce her moral view that abortion is permissible on the fetus.