Paralysis sufferers regain feeling thanks to fetal stem cells

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Sep 3, 2012.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

2. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

But it has only brought Feeling, it says nothing about usage. What if the feelings they get start bringing back pain? What would happen then?

3. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I take it the stem cells come from aborted fetuses? I skimmed the article and didn't find that answer.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

*Only* feeling? Be numb for awhile and then get back to me.

As far as pain or not, just feeling pain wouldn't be true feeling, and that happens with paralysis/missing limbs sometimes naturally as I understand it.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

Donated fetal brain tissue. Doesn't say whether the fetuses are aborted or not. Mostly because it is pretty irrelevant.

6. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

If the only sensation they can feel is "pain" then the solution is simple; stop treatment. We will never know without trying.

7. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

How exactly is it irrelevant? I'd love for my dad to have feeling on the left side of his body again, or better yet be able to walk again, or be able to play golf with him one more time, or throw a football with him again. You get the point. However, I wouldn't want that at the cost of growing fetuses aborted. I think my father would say the same.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2012
  8. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

i would like to know this as well

9. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

So it would be ok if the area that recovered feeling suddenly caused the person more pain? Not sure if I understand here. Why cause the possibility of more suffering.

10. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I don't think that is really an issue. Obviously this isn't a viable treatment presently and won't be classified as such unless some actual movement is observed and can be predictably repeated.

11. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

kpt are you an MD? I've wondered this for a while

12. gorockytop101

gorockytop101 New Member

I'm guessing scientifically.

But morally, its a worthwhile question.

13. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

Agreed...... IMO

14. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

One would think that the feeling of pain is part of the process towards developing the science to provide for mobility and use of limbs.

I also have no problem with any type of fetuses being used for research and scientific advancement.

15. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Proctologist. I do pro bono work for all 8th members.

16. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I agree.

17. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

I will never understand this.

18. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

The Gawd Squadders will kill this. Unliving fetuses are more important than actual humans. Keep up.

19. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

It's my best chance to beat MS. Yes, drug treatments have helped alleviate symptoms, but the underlying cause is still there. I could wake up in the morning and my immune system could be making swiss cheese out of the myelin sheaths in my brain and spinal chord.

Morally, one can't be pro-invetro fertilization and anti-destroying fetues. It's untenable because there's not just one embryo created and not all are implanted. Guess what happens to the rest? Some are donated to infertile folks. Many are simply poured down a drain. Which is moral: disposing human embryos in the city wastewater treatment facility or allowing those that would be discarded anyway to be used to alleviate human suffering? I know which one I'm at peace with. No need to "create" embryos for stem cell treatments.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2012
  20. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

You sir are a heretic. The mere fact you don't know that Gawd's plan is that we are all subservient to the fetus means you are awful.