Peaceable Secession

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Jun 4, 2013.

1. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

Negative, I dont whine about living in the greatest country on earth because a black democrat president passed universal heathcare.

2. ben4vols

ben4vols Contributor

Ohh ok and you say I live in a fantasy world.

3. OrangeEmpire

Heck, all I want to know is how does it feel to ***** and moan about driving on a federal road to a govt job?

4. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Any legal status must be found in the Constitution and I believe the more reasonable argument is that the states gave up their sovereignty with a number of passages in the document, particularly Article 1, clause 10 and Article 6. These passages, essentially defer all state (country) functions to the federal government, which has been agreed upon by all states in the union.

It might also be of interest to compare the status of an American state with another similar place of contention in the world, like a Basque, Kurdistan or Palestine, but that's a different discussion.

5. OrangeEmpire

Yeah, voting is a far worse alternative to peaceful secession.

6. ben4vols

ben4vols Contributor

Nice try. It has nothing to do with Obama himself or his political affiliation. Why are you so afraid of our countries history? Tell us about how the Constitution was ratified and what assurances had to be made before it would be ratified. Technically the states could secede at any point because the Constitution that was ratified is not the Constitution we live under today. Did I miss a page in my history book where all the states seceded and a new Constitution was ratified that gave the general government unlimited powers? Or were those powers taken by force and are now enforced with even more force?

7. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Yes. Yes it is.

8. ben4vols

ben4vols Contributor

That is retarded. All one has to do is read their history. There is plenty of documentation from those that ratified the document. The evidence is quite clear.

9. OrangeEmpire

Afraid?

I love how you frame every thing.

Are you going to teach your children to be self righteous *******s?

So South Carolina is not *****ing and moaning about Obamacare?

10. ben4vols

ben4vols Contributor

You are really letting me down OE. This has nothing to do with Obama.

11. OrangeEmpire

Again, so what is South Carolina challenging?

I dont care about your personal struggle with govt. You have already proved your disdain for others.

12. ben4vols

ben4vols Contributor

I love how you dodge everything and come back with personal attacks. Be honest and quit with the dumbass games. This has nothing to do with Obama. How was the Constitution ratified and what assurances were given to the states before final ratification?

13. ben4vols

ben4vols Contributor

Do any states currently have enough tax revenue? The federal government has done a good job destroying the tax base.

14. OrangeEmpire

For the 6th time, Texas v White.

The union is,older than the states.

Of course it is a decision of a court you do not recignize as having authority.

Brother man, any self righteous cause were you think it is acceptable for people to die deserves whatever recourse that may come.

You can skirt it however you want, be honest and own it.

15. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

What does secession have to do with US laws? If I secede from an entity , what do I care what their laws say? The only reason I care is if the President of that entity decided to enforce said law with guns.

Pretty good read:

Is Secession Legal? | The American Conservative

16. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Surely you don't think the SCOTUS is infallible?

17. ben4vols

ben4vols Contributor

You weren't asked about a court decision. I asked about the ratification of the Constitution as a historical fact. Why won't you answer?

18. OrangeEmpire

The ruling is correct in my opinion.

The union is indestructable.

19. OrangeEmpire

For the 7th time, the union is older than the states.

20. ben4vols

ben4vols Contributor

It is his only workaround without answering to the historical intent of ratification. Those that take a pro-statist position have to rely on wrongly ruled court cases.