Peyton Manning

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by justingroves, Jan 25, 2014.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

What? Who said he was getting blown out?

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

You did when you defined a blowout as a 5 point loss. Good luck finding those tons of posts saying Manning never lost the big games by the way.

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I've learned none of the losses were his fault. Poor guy is just a victim of circumstances

4. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

It's just been his bit.

5. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Putting some of these losses you've slammed him for, like turning the worst team around enough in one year to get to the playoffs, or losing to Super Bowl champs, isn't exactly saying he's done no wrong.

6. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Haha.

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Name the games he lost that were his fault? If you agree he's performed poorly in the playoffs then I'm not sure why people are posting threads calling me out.

8. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Exclusively his fault? I'd lean toward zero. He played like crap a few times against the Pats in games the Colts had no business winning, but her certainly didn't help the cause. Played poorly against the Chargers a few years ago, too. Not sure that makes him a playoff choke artist as he struggles with those teams during the regular season, too. I was actually quite surprised that he was nearly flawless against those two this postseason. Didn't play very well against the Steelers in their first Super Bowl run and played pretty average against the Ravens last year, but I think the whole offense got disassociated from the game by Fox's idiotic clock management.

9. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

Manning might be the goat, and he might not be the goat. / thread

10. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

I've explained it multiple times. I don't really give a damn about Manning one way or the other. He's just another guy who played at UT to me. The lunatic fringe of our fanbase that acts as if he's part Ghandi, part Joe Montana is another story. I have no problem openly detesting them.

11. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Woodson's Heisman resume is laughable.

12. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Whoa Nellie...

13. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

The first Saturday in November '97, the talking heads of ESPN cfb were in complete agreement that Brian Grese was going to challenge Manning for the Heisman.

14. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

This is the kind of thing that makes this argument stupid. Peyton could throw for 400 yards and 3 TDs, but if they lose, it'll go down as another example of him losing the Super Bowl.

I'd mention if he plays poorly and they win, but let's be honest, the broncos aren't winning if Manning isn't on his game.

15. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Yeah, but you can only give it to one stud running back at a time. The 2001 team was great, and I'm not going to argue otherwise, but they nearly got beat by a mediocre Va. Tech team, so methinks the conclusion that they're definitely the best CFB team ever is misguided and needs reevaluation. The best talent? Sure. The best team? I dunno.

16. kidbourbon

LSU was ranked 14 at the time, and finished up the season ranked 13. That's a funny definition of awful

17. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

I think he's had a much greater positive impact on UT football than most other guys. I don't give a crap about the GOAT arguments and yes he stunk in a few key games at UT and in the NFL. But you can definitely see the arc of UT football ascendance peak during his career and the years following where players who were directly influenced by him were on the roster. As those players matriculated off the roster UT football regressed from that peak...losing Cutcliff also impacted that as well. Peyton continues to be the highest profile evangelist for UT football. Personally, I like the guy and glad he's ours. I'm rooting for him to win the Super Bowl but really don't care about all of this media driven drivel about his 'legacy' and this game's impact on it one way or another. I don't give a crap about Peyton vs. Tom or Aaron debates.

18. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

Oh and no I have never named any of my kids or pets 'Peyton' nor have ever owned checkered overalls.

19. kidbourbon

Well that's weird.

20. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

This is a crazy evaluation of good.

Fulmer took a ranked UT team to the SEC title game for his last appearance. That team sucked.