Playoff Picture (November 13, 2022)

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by IP, Nov 13, 2022.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

Yep. We will be right there as one of the most screwed over teams ever if left out.

Tennessee played almost a third of the top 10, beat 2 of them, and lost on the road to the #1 and defending champion. Leave tennessee put, and you are just punishing us for having to play in Athens.

2. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

TCU is going to finish undefeated, I think. They just seem to have that 2002 Ohio State we'll win every game through bullshit, but we'll win every game sort of thing going in the Big 12. Bummer, because I'd really prefer the 3 seed rather than the 4. Playing Georgia again in the semis would kind of be a downer as opposed to playing someone new, like the OSU/Michigan winner.

A-Smith and tvolsfan like this.
  3. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

This is where I’m at. I know there isn’t a way that anyone could argue we aren’t a top 4 team in the country and we are a no brainer for the playoff, but I’ve already been researching Sugar Bowl tickets and hotel rooms in New Orleans for New Year’s.

A-Smith likes this.
  4. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I agree, but I don’t think it’s as hard as it looks “on paper.”

All of these PAC12 teams are overrated. They play UCLA, who just lost to a 4-6 Arizona team (yeah, even after beating a top 10 UCLA, Arizona still isn’t even .500), and then they play Notre Dame, who is ranked because they beat an overrated Clemson team. Let’s not forget Notre Dame lost to Marshall, who is currently 6-4 despite playing in the Sun Belt.

Memtownvol likes this.
  5. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Counterpoint: 50/50 chance they randomly lose by 30 to Kansas State, because apparently Kansas State is a coin flip between meh and juggernaut every week.

IP and NorrisAlan like this.
  6. DownNDirty

DownNDirty Contributor

If OSU blows Michigan out of the water I could see the final playoff ranking flipping OSU to 1 and Tennessee to 4 to keep from a UGA/UT rematch in the first playoff game. That's if everything goes ok and we at least squeak in at 4. If everyone goes down except UGA and OSU we could be a 3 without having to have shenanigans to flip anyone around. I still think there's decent chances UT does not make the final 4 even without the disaster of UGA losing to LSU. The easiest other way for this to happen and a kick in the jimmy would be UGA winning out, Michigan eeking out a 2 point win over OSU on a last play TD or some such nonsense in a bad weather game where people could make all kinds of arguments, TCU running the table, Clemson running the table, and USC running the table. Then you legitimately have a conference champ USC an ACC Conference champ Clemson, a Tennessee team that only lost to the #1 team in the country, and an OSU team that only lost to the #2 team in the country.

The political maneuvering there would be insane. I think if that happened they'd take USC barely over OSU and Tennessee would be either 6 or 7 depending on where they put Clemson. I know that 99% of the time these things will work themselves out but I also remember in 1998 that there was a huge push to put UCLA AND Kansas State ahead of UT for the first ever BCS National Title game. And it took at least one of them losing to keep us safe and they both wound up losing during the last weekend of the season.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Agreed, and USC is also of the same ilk so it balances out.

8. Unimane

All I know is if we get a playoff game in Atlanta, that place will have enough orange to make the '86 Sugar Bowl look like a small Knoxville get together.

utvol0427 and NorrisAlan like this.
  9. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

I never imagined I would be watching the CFP show. Nor did I imagine I would be wondering what the goobers would do relative to our spot in the playoffs.

I'm kinda liking it.

AbeFroman and A-Smith like this.
  10. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

I think OSU could win by 80 and not jump an unbeaten Georgia, especially if they beat LSU the week after. It’s more likely they would put us at 3 if they were adamant about avoiding a rematch.

TDVol1989 likes this.
  11. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

this has been quite an enjoyable and unexpected ride. I keep thinking about how Hooker looked in Heups first spring game. Looked like he’d never see the field. Now he’s one of a handful of tn qbs to throw so many tds, but I believe I read all the others had at least 25 INTs. It’s been unreal and we are likely going to break scoring record set by Heup last year.

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

And not to takeaway from this year but going forward, this offense can be better.

VOLinDAWGland and Memtownvol like this.
  13. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

If Milton can actually QB from the get go and Sampson is as good as he looks like he might be, Katie bar the door. Holy [uck fay].

VOLinDAWGland and justingroves like this.
  14. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I wanna see Milton sling one 80 yards to squirrel next year

VOLinDAWGland likes this.
  15. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Baylor's results this season don't inspire much confidence.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  16. Unimane

If Iamaleava can make the right mental processes, he can surpass what Hooker's doing. I just hope he's as tough as Hooker is.

17. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

ESPN playoff predictor only gives USC a 37% chance of making it, even if they win out and win their conference. Thought that was odd. It gives TCU a better shot (51%) even if they lose to Baylor and then win their conference.

18. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Michigan 57% if they lose to OSU. OSU 66% if they lose to Michigan.

We have a 66% chance if we win out. Feels like we were 70% last week?

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

What is that % assuming? That the team it is applied to wins out? For example, is tOSU 100%? If not, then it represents the chances of a team like USC losing and/or others ahead not losing? Not clear to me.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

Seems like everyone's percentages are collectively too high.

warhammer likes this.